to flash in camera and to have a clean flash?

Hi!

When using flashes/strobos with epic or alexa or "X" camera, there is a moment when you see the flash, you don't see the flash, or you have a middle straight tinny or "ugly" line of the flash in the frame. Even if you try changing the frequence of the flash you have this problem. We know that is cause of the shutter and the freq of the flash ...

Is there any solution about this? Some equipment that synchronize the flash with the camera?

You could try Sony F55.. it has a global shutter.. so should capture the flash or more likely to than rolling shutter.. had the same thing recently on a commercial shot to look like a catwalk in part .. even with a whole load of flashes going off.. did some tests day before and it didnt really look good enough.. was decided to add in post.. how they did that I don't know TBH..

There might be some flash gun gizmo .. but rolling shutter I think is always going to be a problem..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

Flashes with longer times can work with rolling shutters, I heard they used an LED strobe for "Straight Outta Compton", and that was shot on Red cameras with a rolling shutter, and I've use Lightning Strikes Papparazzi strobes without problems on the Alexa. I think I've used Atomic Strobes with minimal problem.

• Premium Member

The global shutter would work fine with a strobe, the only issue with a normal still camera flash (which is very short) becomes, like with a film camera, having it sometimes happen when the shutter is closed. But you could extend the shutter time to increase the likelihood of capturing the flash.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used these, but they might be worth a look: http://www.attitudelighting.com/equipment/lightning-strikes-250k-linear/

Also, if you have a speedlight or something like that lying around, try using it at maximum power, that makes the flash duration longer, in combination with a longer exposure, which could help.