Northfork

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

Recently I had a 43 yr. old woman come into the unit I work in at a hospital.

her name was Wendy,she was on a ventilator and needed a lung transplant.

One night I took the "Northfork" dvd in to the hospital so she could watch it

on the unit's dvd player. She liked it very much and said it was a beautiful

film and story. I told her the cinematographer who photographed the film was

a forum member of a forum I posted on and also a member of the ASC. She

said if I was on the forum sometime,would I thank David Mullen for her and

thank him for such a beautiful film. I told her I would. She asked me if the film

won any academy awards, I said no but it should have. I told her I was studying

cinematography. Well I went off duty for the weekend and came back seven days

later and took the dvd "Mulholland Falls" to her room for her. Her bed was empty,

and I started to get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, I've experienced it

many times in 34 yrs. . A nurse(friend of mine) told me she had died while she

was talking to a friend who came to see her. She said she just simply died while

talking. Wendy was a big Nick Nolte fan too,she liked "Prince of Tides" a lot. So

now I'm keeping my promise to her. Thank you Mr. David Mullen ASC for your

your wonderful craft and art in "Northfork", and thank you Mr. Nick Nolte for your

wonderful craft and art as an actor. Thanks from Wendy.

Greg Gross

Guest Ian Marks

I have to chime in here too - I loved the look of both "Northfork" and "Twin Falls Idaho." Gorgeous-looking films. David Mullen's cinematography really makes all the difference.

• Premium Member
I have to chime in here too - I loved the look of both "Northfork" and "Twin Falls Idaho."  Gorgeous-looking films. David Mullen's cinematography really makes all the difference.

I just watched it a few nights ago and followed up by watching it again with the directors commentary. There was alot going on that I didn't notice (or get) the first time around and learning it after the fact made it a much more satisfying film for me.

It's a shame that multi-layered and unconventionally structured films like this come and go while something like "Independence Day" and "Top Gun" linger on and on and on.

There's little accounting for taste, I spose.

This is a great film, and it's a tribute to Mr. Mullen that he gives so much time and effort to helping those on this board. Northfork is one of those rare films anymore where the cinematography surpasses the direction so far that you almost want to "see" the film more than hear it. If not for James Woods, the rest of this film would rely entirely on the visuals, and certainly not the acting. This is one extremely rare film that is saved almost entirely on the Look, and not the Looked at. One almost gets the feeling that D. Mullen gets the story more than the cast and director combined. It appears to the outsider that only two people actually did their homework on this: David, and James Woods. Everyone else appears as if they are reading an unfamiliar dialect.

• Premium Member
This is a great film, and it's a tribute to Mr. Mullen that he gives so much time and effort to helping those on this board. Northfork is one of those rare films anymore where the cinematography surpasses the direction so far that you almost want to "see" the film more than hear it.  If not for James Woods, the rest of this film would rely entirely on the visuals, and certainly not the acting. This is one extremely rare film that is saved almost entirely on the Look, and not the Looked at.  One almost gets the feeling that D. Mullen gets the story more than the cast and director combined. It appears to the outsider that only two people actually did their homework on this: David, and James Woods. Everyone else appears as if they are reading an unfamiliar dialect.

I'm afraid I disagree with this. Not only Woods, but Nick Nolte AND Darryl Hannah turned in their best performances in many years. If you listen to the directors commentary, the story was working on many levels and Michael Polish (the director) not only wrote a memorable screenplay, but knew when to step aside and let the actors act. There were many small details woven into the story which you might miss unless you were paying close attention. And the kid was fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, there was lots of eye-candy, but the cinematography served a very good, idiosynchratic script and showcased some fine acting. It's a movie you can watch again and again and find something new with each viewing. Rare.

Guest Charlie Seper

I loved Northfork! It was one of those movies I could never look back on and know what it was about it that grabbed me. But grab me it did. I'm a sucker for Angels.