Local 600 Initiation Fees

James Al

• Premium Member

Actually, we pay dues to an organization to enforce the working rules of engagement to protect us workers from abusive employers. Those same rules also protect employers from hiring unqualified and unskilled employees. That's why all of the top producers and directors all belong to a union as well. But we've already gone over all of this Richy.

G

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Hi,

Does anyone know the current initiation fees for the different categories to join the Local 600?

DP, Camera Op, 1st AC, 2nd AC, DIT, technician, etc etc....

Thanks...

Here's their contact number in LA. Give them a call and they'll help you.

1 (323) 876-0160

G

• Upvote 1

That's why all of the top producers and directors all belong to a union as well.

Oh really? Please remind me which union George Lucas belongs to?

Curious that so many US shoots are now done in places like South Africa, Australia, and Eastern European countries where there are no film unions. Once a show leaves the USA not a whole lot IATSE can do about it, is there now?

R,

• Premium Member

Oh really? Please remind me which union George Lucas belongs to?

Curious that so many US shoots are now done in places like South Africa, Australia, and Eastern European countries where there are no film unions. Once a show leaves the USA not a whole lot IATSE can do about it, is there now?

R,

Lucas was DGA and quit over a disagreement with the Guild. That was his choice. As for US shoots, I've worked all over the world, recently, Canada, Europe, Iceland and the UAE, and have always been under my union contract. Many of my colleagues as well. It's not even a question from my producers. I could care less if you are a guild member or not. It has no bearing on me. But don't generalize without facts. I also know numerous Canadians who have worked under the Canadian IATSE contract in the USA.

By the way, JJ Abrams, the current Star Wars director is union.

G

And there are twice as many more US productions that leave the USA and the union contracts behind. Please don't tell me this doesn't happen, because it certainly does.

Union members like yourself can get mad at people like me all you want Gregory, but the voices of those that oppose unionization & the detriments it brings to society will not be silenced.

Phil's pallet of gold graphic is bang on!!!

R,

• Premium Member

And there are twice as many more US productions that leave the USA and the union contracts behind. Please don't tell me this doesn't happen, because it certainly does.

Union members like yourself can get mad at people like me all you want Gregory, but the voices of those that oppose unionization & the detriments it brings to society will not be silenced.

Phil's pallet of gold graphic is bang on!!!

R,

Then if you are so certain of Phil's graphic, then we would all appreciate if you would answer with accuracy, James' original question. How much are the initiation fees Richy? I pretty much know that you haven't a clue. That's ok. I really get a kick out of some of your remarks.

But I do agree with you that there is more non union than union globally. There is no doubt. But even so, the IATSE does have a global reach in terms for their members. The "I" stands for INTERNATIONAL for the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. And I never get mad at you! I enjoy the sparring!

G

How much are the initiation fees Richy? I pretty much know that you haven't a clue. That's ok. I really get a kick out of some of your remarks.

Of course I have no idea, and why would I care? I could do as Phil suggests and just call, or look on the web-site. Let's face it, you and I know it's not a small amount of money for a young person starting their career.

I do know what weekly tier rate minimums are for union members in various depts. I'll never forget doing the budget for Against The Wild Part 1 and discovering after looking at the IATSE and DGC tiers that I was actually OVER paying a number of people. So the UPM lowered all the weekly rates to the minimums, phew, thanks to unionization I as the producer saved money and the workers got LESS money. So maybe unions are a good thing after all, they screw their own members in favour of the producer.

Then there's all the BS fees union members pay out of their cheques. I pay zero out of mine, so I am quite happy with that. :lol:

R,

• Premium Member

Much as I dare to jest, this is a serious subject which deserves better than the sort of sniping we're suffering here.

If you want an argument against unions, there are several. Most of them are most validly arguments against particular unions and the way they're run as businesses, enriching people at the top of the union, as opposed to the top of the production office, but ultimately representing senior people behaving in exactly the way that they're supposed to oppose. But that's applicable only on a case-by-case basis. I have heard the US film unions accused of this sort of send-the-enforcers-round strong-arm tactic, although I don't know enough about it to comment further.

What's more generally the case is that where a union operates in an area where there is a scarcity of employment versus employees, which is certainly the case in film and TV, the whole setup is profoundly anti-economic. This was the Thatcher argument in the 80s, when both union power and corporate greed had both grown to the point of unsustainability. There were no good guys in that fight.

At worst, though, a situation of financial security for the some is created simply by excluding others - artificially narrowing the labour pool. Most film and TV unions either do this or would like to, and often attempt to by any means they possibly or legally can. The union can do this all it likes and still claim to be helping its members - because it is. It's just screwing over everyone who isn't a member, but those people, apparently, don't matter, don't count, don't really exist and aren't really people. And it's really easy to justify this, by claiming that safety is at stake because certain tests haven't been passed, that worker quality must be maintained, or a dozen other proactive and appropriate-sounding soundbites which are regularly used to obfuscate grotesque excesses.

So, Richard, if you want to criticise unions, there are lots of much better ways to do it.

P

• Premium Member

Of course I have no idea, and why would I care? I could do as Phil suggests and just call, or look on the web-site. Let's face it, you and I know it's not a small amount of money for a young person starting their career.

I do know what weekly tier rate minimums are for union members in various depts. I'll never forget doing the budget for Against The Wild Part 1 and discovering after looking at the IATSE and DGC tiers that I was actually OVER paying a number of people. So the UPM lowered all the weekly rates to the minimums, phew, thanks to unionization I as the producer saved money and the workers got LESS money. So maybe unions are a good thing after all, they screw their own members in favour of the producer.

Then there's all the BS fees union members pay out of their cheques. I pay zero out of mine, so I am quite happy with that. :lol:

R,

1. You are quoting a rate that is rarely used and is the absolute lowest of the Union scales. We don't usually work at weekly rates. We work at full contract (non tier) daily hourly wages. Huge difference.

2. You were not over paying anyone because you were not paying any benefits such as retirement contributions, pension, healthcare (do not brag about the Canadian med system. It's massively flawed when compared to the US. It's just free and you get what you pay for) or the IAPs. That stands for Individual Account Plan that is yet another profitable retirement payout and would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more - depending on the number of years of service upon retirement.

3. The initiation fee is not inexpensive but not unreasonable either when compared to the salary increase that each member would automatically receive. It is not unreasonable when you consider the representation with employers each member receives and the aforementioned benefits that are ALL employer paid. They are not taken out of our pay checks. The initiation fee is also 100% tax deductible as well. The main caveat is that you actually work union to qualify for all of the above.

So it sounds to me that you were ripping off your crews and that you were intentionally taking advantage of their youth and ignorance knowing what certain Union rate cards were saying. Shame on you. No one will force you to change your abussive employment practices till word gets out and forces you too. Sadly, there will always be the young and dumb ones who will not know any better till they mature and realize there is smarter way of doing business and that they do not have to be signatory to self serving producers who just line their own pockets at their expense.

G

• Premium Member

Ha ha! You're so easy Richy. How do you ever hold up in negotiations? I'm simply using your own words brother!

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The rate card is the rate card, is it not? I guess you haven't heard of the "rate card" before?????????????

R,

Which region of the rate cards do you speak of? I know all 10 rate cards just in the Western Region of IATSE. Again, have your facts straight and we won't have to go through this. Should we even discuss the other regions? I like you Richy. You just don't respect anyone.

G

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Maybe it's their huge sense of entitlement?

R,

I don't think so. "They" negotiate. They talk. They respect others. THEY earn what they achieve. And I'm a Republican in my industry!

G

Fortunately Stuart there aren't any union members outside of Canada and the USA, and there's a whole lot of places to shoot movies with crews far better than can be found in the US or Canada.

Or I can easily shoot anything I want in the US or Canada without a union crew, what do they bring to the table?

R,

"They" negotiate. They talk.

They also send out threatening emails when they don't get their way. On one of my movies they threatened to picket the set, problem was I was a three hour drive drive North of Toronto and they couldn't be bothered to make the drive. That was quite hilarious, none of their threatening emails were backed up with any action. Typical.

R,

• Premium Member

They also send out threatening emails when they don't get their way. On one of my movies they threatened to picket the set...

R,

The very same people whom you choose to disrespect have the basic right for representation.

G

If they won't back up their threats Gregory, then 667 Toronto should not make them.

Maybe they need coaching from union thugs in the US? The guys who show up with baseball bats and muscle shirts.

BTW Gregory...I notice you make no comments on Phil's rather long and well thought out anti union position. Curious.

R,

Ok here's an article I want you to read Gregory, because it speaks volumes with regard to how your union works and also supports my position that I am far from the only producer to have a very bad experience working with your union. Therefore, everything I have said here is 100% justified.

Here's a quote from the article:

"How so? The film’s producer released a statement on Friday condemning New York unions as “as about as pleasant to work with as a pile of rotting fish”.

Read on:

http://nycppnews.com/new-york-iatse-members-take-heat-in-sharknado-dispute/

Wow, shame on IATSE:

"In the article, Bales states that The Asylum didn’t offer a contract for the third film because of their experience in New York: “Dealing with the New York City locals was the worst experience we’ve had in making over 200 movies. After all of the manipulation and bullying, inefficiency, overcharging, lying, and featherbedding, we had absolutely no desire to repeat this experience on ‘Sharknado 3.’”