Local 600 Initiation Fees

James Al

Oh my seems quite a number of people do not appreciate the tactics used by IATSE. Here's a sample from this thread:

"I hope the NY Attorney general of the DOJ crack down in IATSE and drive these shitheads out of the business. They are the reason why no one in their right mind wants to shoot in NY or the US if they can avoid it. You are not OWED anything. Why should anyone be forced to employ hooligans?"

http://deadline.com/2015/03/sharknado-3-producers-strike-union-1201392243/#comment-list-wrapper

• Premium Member

BTW Gregory...I notice you make no comments on Phil's rather long and well thought out anti union position. Curious.

R,

Please feel free to call me Greg. The reason for my lack of commentary on Phil is simple. He presents himself much more objectively, with more respect and with an overall higher intellect than you do Richard. I have admiration and respect for Phil and his opinions. He is neither pompous nor insulting.

As for baseball bats, I've never experienced that. I've only seen smartly dressed and intelligent business agents along with very talented contractual, labor attorneys.

G

• Premium Member

Try producing a movie....you soon will.

R,

Again (sigh), all of the reputable producers that I work with in the big leagues are Union members themselves. DGA and PGA.

G

• Upvote 1

Yes, and from what we read above, they all love you! Love you! LOL. (You = IATSE).

And yet you still fail to recognize how many US shoots leave the USA so that they can avoid having to sign with or deal with your union.

R,

• Premium Member

Yes, and from what we read above, they all love you! Love you! LOL. (You = IATSE).

And yet you still fail to recognize how many US shoots leave the USA so that they can avoid having to sign with or deal with your union.

R,

They? I read both of your articles and both are about one low budget TV show with one disgruntled, Union member who has a personal beef with his own Union. Who cares? That by no means is representative.

And as for productions leaving the US, that's their prerogative and right to do so. I wish they wouldn't of course but that's business.

G

• Premium Member

Anyway, I am completely bored with this conversation. Besides, I'm late for a rally and have to still polish my baseball bat and locate my brass knuckles. I know they're around here somewhere... BTW, did our original poster ever gain the info he requested?

G

• Upvote 1

Anyway, I am completely bored with this conversation. Besides, I'm late for a rally and have to still polish my baseball bat and locate my brass knuckles. I know they're around here somewhere..

Ha! I Knew it!

R,

"How so? The film’s producer released a statement on Friday condemning New York unions as “as about as pleasant to work with as a pile of rotting fish”.

You're honestly going to use The Asylum to back up your comments? A production company renowned for abusive work practices and illegally low wages?

It's because of companies like them that we need unions in the first place.

• Upvote 1

You're honestly going to use The Asylum to back up your comments? A production company renowned for abusive work practices and illegally low wages?

It's because of companies like them that we need unions in the first place.

Illegally low wages? Ok is there a link to a story where they were investigated by a government agency and found guilty? Or is this just something from the worker rumour mill?

How does an employer offer "illegal" low wages in the first place? Why would a worker voluntarily accept such a job? Or are you implying that Asylum is also a slave trading operation of some kind?

R,

I think it's a perfectly valid question Phil for people in the places like the USA that has advanced employment legislation that covers everyone (save for child tobacco pickers in the US South.)

So the question remains, Stuart alleges that The Asylum pays film workers, "illegally low wages." So I'd like to know how that is possible? And what that means exactly? The only wage cut off I know of is minimum wage, and in the US it's very low so I would be surprised if any film production company would actually ask for, and get, people to work below minimum wage. Anything above minimum wage is perfectly legal as far as I know.

R,

How does an employer offer "illegal" low wages in the first place? Why would a worker voluntarily accept such a job?

An employer, such as the Asylum, offers illegally low wages by hiring crew as 'Independent Contractors'. And though this is in itself of questionable legality, it allows them to circumvent minimum wage legislation.

How do I know this? Because I've worked for them. I've been on shows where almost everyone on the crew was earning less than minimum wage, some less than half minimum wage. Hope this this hasn't given you any new ideas Richard.

There will always be people willing to take a badly paid job. That's the nature of this industry. That willingness should not be exploited.

This site is about cinematography, and the people who practice it, whether they be beginners or professionals. Seeing as you seem to have no respect for those crew that make your movies, perhaps you should post elsewhere.

An employer, such as the Asylum, offers illegally low wages by hiring crew as 'Independent Contractors'. And though this is in itself of questionable legality, it allows them to circumvent minimum wage legislation.

How do I know this? Because I've worked for them. I've been on shows where almost everyone on the crew was earning less than minimum wage, some less than half minimum wage. Hope this this hasn't given you any new ideas Richard.

There will always be people willing to take a badly paid job. That's the nature of this industry. That willingness should not be exploited.

This site is about cinematography, and the people who practice it, whether they be beginners or professionals. Seeing as you seem to have no respect for those crew that make your movies, perhaps you should post elsewhere.

Why don't you post elsewhere Stuart? You have no authority to command me to do anything. Besides, there are many different categories to this site, & my opinion is just as valid as yours (even though you only like to hear the sound of your own voice.)

Back to the matter at hand, if you worked for them for less than minimum wage, that is your own dumb fault. Don't try laying blame anywhere except where it belongs, and that's with you.

As for how I work, I had the misfortune of having to sign union contracts on two productions. I followed 100% of what I agreed to, especially on the wage front. All crew payments were processed via EP, and all the taxes and workman's comp, etc were all paid. No one worked under the table or as a freelancer in either case. So you can take your comments about me and shove them up your you know what Stuart.

R,

Why don't you post elsewhere Stuart? You have no authority to command me to do anything. Besides, there are many different categories to this site, & my opinion is just as valid as yours (even though you only like to hear the sound of your own voice.)

Back to the matter at hand, if you worked for them for less than minimum wage, that is your own dumb fault. Don't try laying blame anywhere except where it belongs, and that's with you.

As for how I work, I had the misfortune of having to sign union contracts on two productions. I followed 100% of what I agreed to, especially on the wage front. All crew payments were processed via EP, and all the taxes and workman's comp, etc were all paid. No one worked under the table or as a freelancer in either case. So you can take your comments about me and shove them up your you know what Stuart.

R,

Richard, the idea that workers choose to work for less they are worth, or are legally entitled to, is really quite offensive, but no less than I would expect from you. You've already stated that you have no respect for your crew.

You're right, I have no authority to command you to do anything, which is why it was a suggestion, that you might want to take your anti-crew opinions somewhere other than a forum almost entirely populated by film crew. But hell, if you want to stay and spew bile at us, I can't stop you.

I just hope you understand that every time you write a some poisonous diatribe, you only make yourself look bad. And that's already bad enough.

Richard, the idea that workers choose to work for less they are worth, or are legally entitled to, is really quite offensive, but no less than I would expect from you. You've already stated that you have no respect for your crew.

Are you daft? Unless it was slavery or they forced you at gun point to work for them, then you were the one who chose to work for them. I really don't see how any logical person cannot understand this concept?

Next you'll tell me that if an employer tells you to roll over and bark like a dog you had no choice but to do that as well.

In my case, while I don't work for others, I routinely turn down licensing fees if I judge them to be inadequate. If I accept a licensing fee that is less than what I require then I have only myself to blame for this.....don't I?

R,

I'm sorry, Richard, but you really do appear to be the kind of scumbag producer that is all too prevalent in the industry these days. They pay terrible wages, and blame it on the workers for accepting it, then pour hatred on the unions for fighting it, all while lining their pockets.

Now, i'm sure you can find many places around the world that you can continue to underpay workers to make your films, but that's not something you should boast about here.

• Upvote 1

Well Stuart....if I signed with IATSE on two shows, and paid their rate card, and had all the payments processed via EP then clearly you have no right to call me anything do you now? Why don't you call 667 in Toronto and ask them how many grievances have been filed against me? 1-416-368-0072.

R,

I had a chance to look over the cinematography on your site, I'm surprised you find work shooting local car commercials. It is woefully inadequate and generally amateurish and poor quality. The best word I can find to describe you is, hack.

Thanks for the critique on my work, Richard. I guess I won't be shooting your next masterpiece. Shame, I was really hoping to spice up my reel with some quality work like Dogfather 2, but I guess you'll find someone else to shoot that Walmart bargain bin material for you.

BTW, I said you 'appeared' to be a scumbag. I thought I'd let you prove the point for me. Which you did.

Best,

but I guess you'll find someone else to shoot that Walmart bargain bin material for you.

It joins everything on your IMDB list.

R,

You're right, Richard. Everything on my IMDB list is horribly lit, even the things you haven't seen, which I would guess is about 99% of it. But don't let that stop you from personal attacks. No indeed, unsubstantiated criticism only makes you look better.

One thing you should know, is that while I'm busy shooting these horribly lit movies, the first thing I do is make sure that my crew are well looked after, and that as far as I can, I protect them from butts people like you.

• Upvote 1