Using Watson batteries instead of Sony ones with my Preston HU3

Hi all,

quick question.. After a few years of intensive use, both my Preston issued & Sony original batteries; which I use to power my HU3, have died. Am looking to purchase new ones, and remember on a multi camera shoot having worked along side another Preston user who was using the more powerful Np-qm71d and Np-qm91d batterie. I have been looking to purchase these but so far everywhere I look they are either uncontinued or out of stock. I have however found "Watson" brand versions of these; the only difference being that they are rated 7.4v rather than 7.2v.

Does anybody have any experience powering their HU3 with these batteries? Any info would be much appreciated!

Happy holidays!

Heya' JD,

I have looked around a bit but haven't found any info on whether or not they can be. If i do - i would definitely consider recelling them, however eitherway i plan on purchasing new ones as i cannot afford to wait that long (shipping-recelling-shipping) and because, as per in my post - i am looking for more powerfull/bigger ones.

Camera battery packs, in theory.....don't differ much from power tool or other battery pack types. At the same time, you usually can the pack rebuilt with cells that have more capacity. Some internet searching and a few phone call should yield success.

You can absolutely use any generic QM71 or QM91 batteries. It doesn't make sense to recell original ones, and they're not recell them anyway since the casing is sealed. Generic batteries are so cheap, you can get them for less than $20 a piece. I mean, even the Preston-supplied ones are generic.