Krasnogorsk M42 & Photo Optics?

Alex Fuchs

Hi Dudes,

at the moment I get in touch with a Krasnogorsk 3 camera with M42 lens-mount. Can I mount normal M42 photo-optics (old German Democratic Rebublic stuff) on it and cause this some vignettes (don't really know if that is the right english term) than?

Regards Alex

thank you dudes. but one more question: what is with the focal length of the 35mm optics. what focal lenght is it when I use it on a 16 mm camera. when I take a 50mm on a 35mm-camera does it mean, that I have a 25mm on a 16mm camera?

regards alex

thank you dudes. but one more question: what is with the focal length of the 35mm optics. what focal lenght is it when I use it on a 16 mm camera. when I take a 50mm on a 35mm-camera does it mean, that I have a 25mm on a 16mm camera?

regards alex

Fraid not, you still have a 50mm lens whatever camera it is connected to. 50mm would of course be considered a bit telephoto in 16mm. This means that it is hard to get cheap wide-angle lenses for use in 16mm when using the M42 mount because 25mm lenses would just be what is considered normal in 16mm, so you would need a lens less than 25mm in size to get wide angle shots, whereas in 35mm cameras a 30mm lens would be wide angle!

The lenses stay the same size whatever they are connected to.

love

Freya

• 5 years later...

Hi Dudes,

at the moment I get in touch with a Krasnogorsk 3 camera with M42 lens-mount. Can I mount normal M42 photo-optics (old German Democratic Rebublic stuff) on it and cause this some vignettes (don't really know if that is the right english term) than?

Regards Alex

Conversely, can you mount the Meteop 17-69 f1.9 to a Pentax camera for still shooting?

Thanks!

Conversely, can you mount the Meteop 17-69 f1.9 to a Pentax camera for still shooting?

Thanks!

Well it would physically fit, but the image circle projected by the lens is only just big enough to cover a regular-16 sized frame of film - it vignettes on super-16, so placed on a 35mm stills camera you'll end up with a small circular image in the middle of the frame, with a lot of black all around it!

• Premium Member

Well it would physically fit

I'm not sure it would since it protrudes out into the mount quite a bit, it might break the mirror.

The Pentax m42 mount lenses are really great for that camera. The best shots I ever got with a K3 were using a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm.

I'm not sure it would since it protrudes out into the mount quite a bit, it might break the mirror...

Ah - good point!

I'll rephrase that: Should physically fit with the mirror locked up safely out of the way! :rolleyes: Lol.

Unfortunately that means you'll no longer be able to see through the viewfinder what you're pointing the camera at, nor be able to see how badly vignetted the image is until after you've had the film developed. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure it would since it protrudes out into the mount quite a bit, it might break the mirror.

The Pentax m42 mount lenses are really great for that camera. The best shots I ever got with a K3 were using a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm.

If you use M42 Macro Extension tubes, I wonder if you could be able to use the Meteop on a M42 body/Camera with M42 adapter. Any thoughts?

regards alex

The Field of View changes.

* For 16mm film, 50mm is considered a telephoto, 25mm is “normal” and 10mm is wide.

But I found that it is really hard to get ultra-wide lenses though.

Luckily my school has a 16mm Zenitar lens to get a wide enough angle for my shots. I couldn't use the stock lens (17–69 mm zoom) because of the minimum shooting distance with it was 6 feet (2 meters).

But I like the camera because I could of the M42 mount. I also used a 28mm Super Takumar. The images looked really nice.

• Premium Member

Luckily my school has a 16mm Zenitar lens to get a wide enough angle for my shots.

That's a great lens for the K3. Watch out if the gate has been widened for Super 16mm and the mount NOT re-centered which is common; you'll have more distortion on one side that looks odd.

The 8mm Peleng has too much distortion even on a 16mm camera IMHO unless you want that look.