Konvas 1KCP-1M 35mm movie camera

Guest Relentless Filmaker

Guest Ian Marks

Check out www.commiecam.com for more information on these and other Russian cameras.

The Konvas was made to shoot Kodak positive perferated stock, which was the Russian standard, instead of the Bell and Howell negative perferated stock used elsewhere. The Konvas only needs modification if a registration pin has been added for the positive perfs, which is rare. Extremely rare.

The Kinor 35, a more full-featured cousin to the Konvas, does require modification. This is due to the inclusion of the registration pin.

I see these Konvas 1KCP-1M 35mm movie cameras on ebay quite often and they seem like a killer deal for 1000.00 but what Im wondering is if anybody has heard of knows anything about them. Should I buy one or not risk it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7519215896&rd=1

Heres the listing on ebay

There are several things you need to be concerned about before buying the konvas cameras. First off, both the 1M and 2M are strictly MOS cameras; we're talking 55-60 db loud and a blimp will reduce the noise, but definitely not eliminate it.

Second, the 1M cannot use 400 ft. mags, only 200 ft ones, which DO NOT allow the use of 200 foot loads. If you use a full 200 ft load, the film stock will rub against itself due to the slightly smaller magazine size (kind of a poorly thought out idea if you ask me.)

Third, the 1M cannot use the 17ep(?) crystal motor unlike the 2M.

And last, know that the magazines for these cameras can be very tricky to load, definitely harder than an arriflex displacement mag.

However, this camera has the advantage of snap on mags, so you can preload them and just snap on and snap off when you finish with one. And, this camera is ridiculously cheap, so you can't really go wrong, but don't expect many bells and whistles to come with this cam. Really, they were made to be reliable, sturdy, and stripped down to the bare essentials. If you really want to go with a konvas, I'd recommend a 2M package.

Guest DEMUTIGER

Hi,

I have a correction:

The 1m does accept both 400' mags and the newer 17 EP crystal motor. Only the oldest 1m cameras, the so called, "top latch" ones from the 60's don't and they are normally grey in color. They also accept a handcrank as well as a simple reostat motor. All of the other 1m's are almost identical to the 2m except for the lens mounts.

I have both Konvas 1m and 2m cameras and they work equally well. I favor the 2m because of the extensive range of great fast lenses. I have 18,22,28,35,50,75 and 100mm lenses and I am currently using this camera on a 35mm feature I'm shooting as the B camera. My A camera is an Arri BL 4 with Zeiss SuperSpeed primes and I dare anyone to tell the difference between the two in image quality. Don't ask the sound guy though. He hates my Konvas and the crew has named it "cranky".

I'd second the recommendation of commiecam.com for lots of info on these cameras.

Good luck!

Ian Dudley, D.P

Guest Relentless Filmaker
Hi,

I'm shooting as the B camera. My A camera is an Arri BL 4 with Zeiss SuperSpeed primes and I dare anyone to tell the difference between the two in image quality.

Ian Dudley,  D.P

Do you have any clips online I could view, or frame grabs? If so that would be great

• Premium Member
My A camera is an Arri BL 4 with Zeiss SuperSpeed primes and I dare anyone to tell the difference between the two in image quality.

Ian Dudley,  D.P

Ian,

What lenses are you using with the Konvas? If it's Zeiss SuperSpeeds there will be no differene at all.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

Hi,

I have a correction:

The 1m does accept both 400' mags and the newer 17 EP crystal motor. Only the oldest 1m cameras, the so called, "top latch" ones from the 60's don't and they are normally grey in color. They also accept a handcrank as well as a simple reostat motor. All of the other 1m's are almost identical to the 2m except for the lens mounts.

I have both Konvas 1m and 2m cameras and they work equally well. I favor the 2m because of the extensive range of great fast lenses. I have 18,22,28,35,50,75 and 100mm lenses and I am currently using this camera on a 35mm feature I'm shooting as the B camera. My A camera is an Arri BL 4 with Zeiss SuperSpeed primes and I dare anyone to tell the difference between the two in image quality. Don't ask the sound guy though. He hates my Konvas and the crew has named it "cranky".

I'd second the recommendation of commiecam.com for lots of info on these cameras.

Good luck!

Ian Dudley,  D.P

Ah yes, that's correct. Does anyone know how much it costs to get a PL mount conversion on one of the konvas 2Ms? I've heard rumors about a camera blimp, but from what I hear, they only reduce the noise so much, or is my information out dated?

i recently shot a music video with my 1m (7m), most of the lenses aren't in the greatest shape, but i was blown away when i saw the footage!!!

the colorist couldnt believe that it came out of a $700.00 camera!

these frame grabs are low resolution (dv)

Edited by jon w

Guest DEMUTIGER
Ian,

What lenses are you using with the Konvas? If it's Zeiss SuperSpeeds there will be no differene at all.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

I'm mostly using the following lenses on my 2m: 22/2.4, 28/1.5, 50/1.4 and 75/1.6. They cut very well with the Zeiss primes I'm using on the BL 4 which I believe are third generation just before the Ultraprime series. Although the Zeiss lenses are a little sharper and have more contrast at low aperatures from 1.4-2, the Russian lenses catch up at working aperatures from 2.8 onward. I tend to shoot at a 2.8 mostly so I've been very pleased with their performance. In general, though, I'd say that the Russian glass is a little warmer than Zeiss, but it's very minor and easily corrected in timing.

There is a PL mount available for the 2m which costs about 350.00, but you have to be sure to collimate it when you change over from the Russian OCT-19 mount.

Ian Dudley D.P NYC

• 6 months later...
They're not the easiest beasts to use, and need to be modified for US filmstock, but they are reliable beasts.

Hi. Konvas-1, Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M cameras not need modifed for use of Kodak negative film with BH perforation .

Konvas cameras have transport mehcnaism with one transport pin only and profile of transport pin comraible for with with BH and KS perforation.

That's why, you can use Kodak negative film with Koncas cameras without any problem.

I can confirm this from practical side, because, i use my Konvas camera with Kodak film.

=Second, the 1M cannot use 400 ft. mags, only 200 ft ones, which DO NOT allow the use of 200 foot loads. =If you use a full 200 ft load, the film stock will rub against itself due to the slightly smaller magazine size

=(kind of a poorly thought out idea if you ask me.)

This is mistakenly.

I think, you mix old version of Konvas-1 ( 1KSR ) camera with magazine lock from top.

Yes, the 200 ft and 400 ft magazines from Konvas-1 with magazine lock from top not compatible with other version of Konvas 1, Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M cameras with magazine lock from left side.

That's why, 1M, Konvas-1M ( 1KSR-1M ) camera can use 200 ft andf 400 ft filmmagazines without problem.

But, i must underline. The last edition of Konvas-2M cameras had new version of gear between magazine and camera. This is single-helical gearing. That's why, the film magazine have

single-helical gearing too.

This is rare edition of camera and magazines, any case, this need check too.

The standard edition of Konvas-1, Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M cameras and magazines have spurs.

=Third, the 1M cannot use the 17ep(?) crystal motor unlike the 2M.

This is not correct idea too.

I think, you can mean Konvas-1 ( 1 KSR ) camera or very rare version of Konvas-1M (1KSR-1M ) cameras with special motor mount and connector ob base axis.

If we told about standard Konvas-1M ( 1KSR-1M ) camera you can connect 17EP-16APK motor or any other motors without problem.

=And last, know that the magazines for these cameras can be very tricky to load, definitely harder than an =arriflex displacement mag.

I not confirm this idea too.

The Konvas magazines have very easy systemof loading, I think, you know not all details of film loading.

If the magazine have good technical codition you will load film into magazine with closed eyes.

Please, visist of my site and you can see detailed images about technology loading film on magazine.

http://www.geocities.com/kinor35/konvas-1m/k-1m-cas-load.htm

Olexandr

• Upvote 1