par hmi difference

• Premium Member

PAR stands for Parabolic A-something (aluminized?) Reflector. It' simply a mathematically designed parabolic shaped reflector designed to maximise the output from a source.

Generally, PAR lamps have much more punch, longer light throw and are harsher than regular fresnel HMI's. More bang for the buck, basically. A 6K PAR can many times outshine a 12K or a 18K Fresnel at long distances.

But they come with some drawbacks, too - all the lamps lenses have to be carried in a spearate box and mounted onto the lens and will never give you the same modeled light as a fresnel would. Another real pain is to change this lens when the lamp is hot - you need pliers to do it or your gloves will burn up.

I use PAR's when I need a lot of light, like on exteriors, but otherwise I prefer the light from fresnel HMI's - especially for interior work. But when using small HMI's that you need to tie in to a house outlet or to a small genny, then the PAR's like the 1200w PAR are more useful since they are so much brighter. A 1200 PAR can do some serious edgelighting fully spotted even on a sunny day.

Another real pain is to change this lens when the lamp is hot - you need pliers to do it or your gloves will burn up.

An electrician I know had some bigass gloves just for that, no pliers needed but he was pretty quick...

I, on the other hand, was too slow and my jacket literally melted... :huh: