In the Heart of the Sea Grading

Arthur Cravan

Hi, everyone....

I was wondering if someone saw In the Heart of the Sea by Howard, with cinematography by Dod Mantle?

I was really shocked by the grading... it's freaking yellowish with those saturated green-saffron yellow hues and luminances...

To me it looks quiet a bit out of target... the Alexa stares at 'video' creepy outward look, while the stuff could be stunning...

What do you think about?

I apologize for the medium quality of the pics

post-69319-0-70939000-1460452495_thumb.jpg

post-69319-0-15562700-1460452582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arthur Cravan

• Premium Member

Yea, we spent weeks talking about this in the "on screen" section of the forum.

I believe they were trying to make the movie look like an oil painting from the vintage of the story. Cool idea, but it didn't play well what so ever.

• Premium Member

Anthony Dod Mantle is well known for his experimental use of color, texture, lensing, filters, and camera choices. So it's not really unexpected. Some of his other films: 'Rush', 'Slumdog Millionaire', '28 Days Later', 'Dredd', 'Anti-Christ', 'The Celebration'.

Similar looking 'yellow-green' films by other cinematographers would include 'The Double Life of Veronique' and 'Amelie.' Not everyone is going for a realistic treatment of color or texture.

Tons of green usually gives me a horror movie vibe, like The Ring. But usually slightly de-saturated with hints of blue, so yeah yellow in the mix is a slight throw-off. I could see the look really working in a forest set horror movie or something. Maybe an urban setting during a disease outbreak, yellow-green seems to give a nauseous feeling. Have not seen this, but I'd assume the boat rocks around quite a bit, could be going for a sea-sickness vibe.

Yeah, I know this was a challenge to match some oil paintings by Turner and the muddy mood of whale's tales but to me the challenge is a failure.

I like a lot experimental grading and the work of Dod Mantle but this time it is a bummer.