Magix aquires Sony Vegas

Brian Drysdale

After months of rumours about Vegas' future it as been announced that Magix has aquired Sony Vegas and other other Sony Creative Software products. The new Catalyst range of products will continue to be developed by the Sony.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/magix-aquires-sonys-video-editing-music-software-today-klaus-schmidt

You can do it, but it's not a strong point with Vegas. It hasn't been favoured by editors for cutting feature films, I had discussion on another forum with an experienced editor who has assisted people with editing feature films on Vegas (being an experienced user himself) and he was less than impressed with the process. I say this owning Vegas and comparing it to Lightworks (a NLE developed for long form narrative work like AVID), which handles searching for material and clearly presenting it with ease.

However, Vegas is much better for audio, which isn't surprisiing given it's background.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

I tried using Vegas Pro 12 when I got it on an academic discount with Hitfilm 3 back about a year and half ago. Honestly, it just feels old to me. Where many of the newer editors are moving to a more streamline, darker-interface that is less distracting, Sony is still sticking with the 1990's Windows Theme of light grey. The reason alone killed it for me. I also seem to remember the OpenGL real-time previewer had issues with my graphics card and wouldn't play right.

For the cost, I honestly don't see why anyone uses it. It might have strong audio, but then again real audio workflows should be done in an audio platform. Other than that, I don't remember it doing anything special that other programs cannot.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

For the cost, I honestly don't see why anyone uses it. It might have strong audio, but then again real audio workflows should be done in an audio platform. Other than that, I don't remember it doing anything special that other programs cannot.

I can confirm that the sound is VERY solid on Vegas. Also, very rare that people actually pay for it lol.

Yeah, I basically got mine on an academic discount of $400 for Vegas Pro 12 Studio, which included Hitfilm - which was like a $300-and-some-odd program itself. So basically I got Vegas Pro for what accounted maybe $50 or so. And honestly, it was worth about $50 to me. It still sits dormant on my computer.

Can't hurt to have it though, on the off chance that someone sends me a Vegas file to edit.

Not that it is necessarily bad, just that it doesn't really do anything I can't already do in any other program. Since I don't mess with audio inside the editor, that is really of no importance to my workflow. Most of my audio is done with Pro Tools and izotope.

I do love DVD Studio Pro 6, though - and use it for all DVD and BR mastering. It includes a professional Dolby Encoder - something that is lacking in any other DVD program, at least without paying some additional fee.

Edited by Landon D. Parks