Colombo TV movie series fps

• Premium Member

I recently bought the full series of Colmobo, and the playback looks like video even though it's film. Has anyone else seen the DVDs, and do you know what I'm talking about? It looks like it was 30fps or something greater, but it seems very natural all at the same time.

Can anyone comment?

• Premium Member

Hey David

I don't really know. I've been watching it on my computer monitor, and it looks sped up by a few frames. I'm using Power DVD 16. I'll have to check the features. I just remember watching this show as a kid and it looking quite different on television--like 24fps.

• Premium Member

No, it's actually the complete boxed set from Universal. I'm almost thinking it was done intentionally, although I don't know why. The motion looks like 29/30 fps video but with a film image. I saw this done with a couple of other series way back in the 90s. But I can't imagine why they'd do it with an official DVD release.

It would have been shot at 24 fps, there were very few series shot at 30 fps. Is the "motion flow" feature turned off on your TV?

David, you're a diamond !

I wondered what the hell was going on when watching movies round a couple of friend's houses.

I couldn't figure out how conventional movies looked like video to me and just hated the way it spoilt the experience.

Here's a link to explain all....

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-is-soap-opera-effect-and-how-to-make-it-go-away/

Thanks again,

John S :rolleyes:

From Cyberlink's site about your PowerDVD16 it has
Tons of those "enhancement" features like the TV's:

* TrueTheater® Color
* TrueTheater® Sound

* TrueTheater

About the last one:

TrueTheater Enhancements for the Best Movie Experience

* TrueTheater HD - Upscale video to HD quality and beyond

* TrueTheater Motion - Up-convert frame-rate for smoother video playback

* TrueTheater Lighting - Enhanced image colors and detail

* TrueTheater Stretch - Intelligently expand 4:3 video to 16:9

* TrueTheater Stabilizer - Minimize video shakiness

* TrueTheater Denoise - Reduce video artifacts

There might be the culprit. :)

---

Most players can show the video stream properties - size, fps.
BSPlayer shows it in the playback control panel, VLC via the Tools/Codec Information menu.

I'm sure PowerDVD can display such things also.

At the end of the day, go in the VIDEO_TS folder on your DVD,

copy one of the ~1GB .VOB files and import it in your NLE.

If unsuported, just rename the extension from .VOB to .MPG and

in your NLE see the properties of the file.

Regards

Igor

PS: How EVERYBODY knows how to "enhance" the artistic intentions of the creators...

• Premium Member

What are we talking about? The Soap Opera Effect is actually a popular nickname for the motion smoothing function found in many modern HDTVs. Some of the more official-sounding names for this function are motion interpolation, frame interpolation, or motion estimation/motion compensation (MEMC). They all describe the same thing: that super-smooth effect that makes film sources look like video on your TV.

And

And finally comes motion or frame interpolation, in which the TV looks at two existing frames and creates an entirely new frame in between them by guessing or estimating what should be there.

Thanks John.

Wow. That's crazy. So a third of what I'm seeing isn't original footage.

• Premium Member

Update, I toggled off the video enhancements, and it looks like the TV show I grew up with. Really really strange. I often wondered if someone would be able to come up with this with a piece of code, and here it is. Very interesting.

I'm not sure it really adds anything, but I guess it updates older shows and films for newer generations.

• 5 months later...