British Actors Taking American Roles?

Max Field

I started noticing this as the Star Wars prequels were coming out. Is it just me, or has the last 15 years seen an increase of British actors switching their accents for American roles? Has this always been going on and just made more prevalent now that media is in front of our finger tips more than ever?

If not, why is this shift occurring?

Also I don't notice an equal amount of American actors switching up for British roles.

Does anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon or is it all in my insane head??

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I don't think it matters where a person comes from, as a long as they can do the job. What difference would it make anyway?

I asked about the SW films because I think all the stage work was shot in the UK. Meaning you're going to cast local talent, ergo British actors. I seem to be under the impression that a lot of American and Canadian actors actually go to the UK looking for work anyway.

I don't think it matters where a person comes from, as a long as they can do the job. What difference would it make anyway?

Well from some American actor's perspective, they'd get upset about jobs being "outsourced" I suppose.

I'm not an actor but it personally bothers me when some British actors attempt the emulation of American dialect and it sounds fake. At that point, they aren't performing 100%.

• Premium Member

Years back I gripped on a Sun Micro industrial, and it was a Star Trek takeoff with Kevin Pollack doing his Captain Kirk imitation. The "bad guy" pirate starship captain was played by a British actor who pronounced Milpitas as Mill-Pie-tas. The correct pronunciation is Mill-Pee-tus. He did another take.

Beyond that I can't see the issue with actors from any corner of the world working on any shoot where needed.

• 2 weeks later...

British actor who pronounced Milpitas as Mill-Pie-tas. The correct pronunciation is Mill-Pee-tus. He did another take.

Beyond that I can't see the issue with actors from any corner of the world working on any shoot where needed.

For more minor roles I don't see an issue. And there are British actors who can absolutely nail any accent. But as a 'proud' American, I hear a major difference between Hugh Laurie in "House MD" and Emma Watson in "Perks of Being A Wallflower".

On the flip side I'm sure Brits wouldn't receive it too well if Johnny Knoxville starred in a London shot film with a fake sounding British accent.