BMD Mini 4.6k undercrank?

Robino Jones

I'm considering purchasing a BMD mini 4.6K but I have 2 questions for owners.

1. Can you undercrank with this camera and what are the frame rates available? And if undercrank is possible, can you set the shutter to the corresponding angle needed or enter it manually - Can the timebase be set to 23.98 or 24fps? (Example: set the camera to 2fps, shutter to 1/4th (180°) and timebase to 24)

2. Is there aliasing or moire at specific resolutions and also when using ProRes vs RAW?

• Premium Member

The blackmagic cameras all share a time lapse mode which enables users to capture X amount of frames per minute. My cameras are currently on loan, or I'd check the menu to see what the parameters are. If memory serves me, you should be able to do 2fps with that mode no problem and the record format will be whatever frame rate the camera is set to normally.

The URSA Mini does need an anti-moire (optical low pass filter). Currently there isn't a bolt on solution available, but I would assume in the future there will be. You can help soften the issues by running a IRND. Shooting with the full imager's resolution, also helps greatly. Pro Res and RAW look practically identical, so there is no "codec" issue, just resolution. If you buy an URSA mini 4.6k to shoot 2k or below, you bought the wrong camera. It's an open gate Super 35mm cinema camera, designed to shoot at that frame size all the time.