A-MINIMA RODS ATTACHMENT

Giorgio Taricco

Hello guys,

triyng to mount a pair of 15mm rods on the A-Minima power base but found that there are two threaded insert in the holes, seems reducer to 8mm rods. Can't find a way to remove them so there is a reducer adapter to mount 15mm rods on 8mm threaded insert?

Thanks

Giorgio

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Giorgio, I haven't used an aminima, but I've always admired the chief designer, and when you originally posted, I looked on the web and saw one or two pics of rods mounted in the camera base. From those, and the manual specs, the screw mounting is 3/8", the short rods that I saw a pic of had machined flats inboard to enable tightening. If your mounting hole/thread on the camera base has been modified then I supose everything changes.

Maybe take a macro pic showing the threaded hole in the base and the threaded end of the rod(s) you have. If something unusual has been done to the base, threads, the a fix may not be too hard for a good machinist or hobyist with a lathe.

Hello Gregg, I've checked and yes the threaded bushes inside the holes have 3/8 thread, problem is that seems impossible to find a pair of 15mm rods with internal 3/8 threads.... they all have 1/2 or 12mm thread as the ones I have. Any help to find a pair?

Giorgio

I thought I already sent this message. The black cat is not walking smoothly through the frame...

Anyway.

If rods originally for that camera/threaded mount are not available then perhaps one is looking at cheap chinese rods that have internally threaded ends...There may be some with internal 3/8 thread. Worth looking and asking the ebay vendors. Otherwise, a small male fitting with 3/8 thread on one end and 1/2 or 12mm thread at the other could easily be made. As a DIY it may be easier to take a 3/8" screw and machine the shoulder to fit the ID of the rod tube nicely and just glue it in with epoxy. Drill the srew out to be a tube before you glue it in (removes weight). Also, there should be a small flange on the shoulder to but against the rod end.

Get what I mean?