Documentary 3rd camera

Bryan Oldenburg

As a new director, who has had still camera experience in the past (and a limited amount of using motion picture cameras), I'd like to incorporate a third camera into my documentary mix. Would you folks think a Go Pro Hero 5 could supply ample quality for b-roll, or indeed, alternate angles for interviews?

Does the Go Pro have better output possibilities now? From the one I used which was either a 3 or a 4, they are interesting cameras to play around with, but do not look naturally nice themselves. If your A and B cams are DSLRs I guess it wouldn't stick out too bad. That's just me. Going slightly up the price ladder for a BMPCC seems like a better option. Also lets you use a wide variety of lenses (or just lenses period).

• Premium Member

I mix the go pro with BMPCC all the time and it's ok for certain things. I think getting the color to match is the most difficult part however. It won't intercut like other cameras. Far better to have a camera like the BMPCC, inexpensive and fully manual, giving you the best of all worlds.

Thanks Tyler and Macks! If I cannot get the last crew (who brought their own equip), I may need to find an A (principle) camera myself. What do you suggest is the best quality camera for this low budget doc coming up-- i.e., one with good quality, but relatively inexpensive?

PS: Tyler, would you recommend a directional mic with the BMPCC (say, for protest scenes)? Perhaps I could quickly learn how to use the BMPCC and get good B-Roll myself; I'm principally the director, but have had a fair amount of still camera experience. And one last query: would the BMPCC blend in well with most A cameras? Thanks a million!

• Premium Member

PS: Tyler, would you recommend a directional mic with the BMPCC (say, for protest scenes)? Perhaps I could quickly learn how to use the BMPCC and get good B-Roll myself; I'm principally the director, but have had a fair amount of still camera experience. And one last query: would the BMPCC blend in well with most A cameras? Thanks a million!

I use the Rode Video mic on my pocket camera. The pocket does have noisy preamp's however. The solution to the issue is actually pretty simple. Since the Rode mic is mono and hits BOTH channels when you plug it in, I simply set one of the inputs higher then the other one and make sure one of them never goes near clipping. This way on quiet stuff, I can use the channel with the higher gain and on louder stuff I can switch to the one with the lower gain. It's a simple trick that works flawlessly and the Video Mic sounds good enough for anything but direct to camera dialog. If you need critical dialog audio, I'd buy a wireless lav kit or two and run them into the camera OR external recorder. For my own projects, I always use the built-in pre-amps. I don't have the time to resync hundreds of clips after shooting.

This is one of the first things I shot with my pocket and Rode video mic. Everything on here is Rode accept for the dialog. All recorded with the pocket. I did put a "stereo" effect on the music so at least there would be some depth.

• Premium Member

Thanks mate! My Vimeo page has a lot of cool stuff on it. I'll be putting a lot more on it in 2017 for sure.

I didn't get any message from Vimeo, but I did get a comment from another member of the cinematography forums:

"For such an avid poop-talker on Cinematography.com, your work is shockingly amateurish. Consider removing yourself from the medium"

To each his own I guess! But thanks for the props! :)

One last set of questions re my camera set-up folks: Does a Panasonic GH4 as the A camera and a G7 as the B make good quality and economic sense, as another option for a low budget doc? Could I, as director, learn either one of these, realistically, in order to pose as an additional cameraman? I have had a fair amount of still camera experience, though very little cinematography. Thanks all of you camera geniuses!

PS: I probably don't have the time to wait for the release of the GH5, though it looks wonderful, in many ways.

Edited by Bryan Oldenburg

• Premium Member

The GH4 looks totally different then the G7. So that may not work, its good to have two of the same or similar cameras so cutting between them isn't abrupt.

The GH5 does look "interesting" though it doesn't mention what codec it's using for the 200mbps recording mode.