A Super 8 Lab in the USA

Hi everybody !

I'm wondering is there any Lab in the USA that process Super 8 ?

I'll prefer to get one in NY...

In fact, i'm planning to shoot a short on Super 8 in the US, i am from europe, and i would like to process the film out there thant to bring it back in the plane and to send it to switzerland.

Hope someone can advice me ;-)

Hi everybody !

I'm wondering is there any Lab in the USA that process Super 8 ?

I'll prefer to get one in NY...

In fact, i'm planning to shoot a short on Super 8 in the US, i am from europe, and i would like to process the film out there thant to bring it back in the plane and to send it to switzerland.

Hope someone can advice me ;-)

Duane's Photo in Parsons, Kansas. They're the only lab in the Western Hemisphere to process Kodachrome stock. I'm assuming your shooting K40 since Switzerland was mentioned and they're the only other known processor of K40. Takes about a week from sending to receiving. You can find them at k14movies.com. They do a great job! Fast and friendly and reasonable rates too.

Thank you k3shooter ! You were right, I'm gonna shoot K40.

Anyway, does the lab in kansas have a website ?

Alsao, i knew that switzerland was a great lab and i was thinking that it would take 2 or 3 weeks before to get it back. In fact, they sending my test back to me after 1 week. I didn't see yet.

Thank you k3shooter ! You were right, I'm gonna shoot K40.

Anyway, does the lab in kansas have a website ?

Alsao, i knew that switzerland was a great lab and i was thinking that it would take 2 or 3 weeks before to get it back. In fact, they sending my test back to me after 1 week. I didn't see yet.

www.k14movies.com is the site for Dwayne's. You will find mixed reviews about them here and on other boards, I personally have had nothing but great results from them. They are quick and cheap. You could watch your film shortly after shooting.

chris

:D

I shot K-40 and sent it to Dwayne's. Unfortunately it came back with water spots and blue marks (especially when underexposed). If you insist on shooting K-40, I recommend the lab in Switzerland. Waiting for the new ektachome 64 from Kodak could be another option. There should be a number of labs in the US capable of handling it that will do a good job.

However, I have had much better overall results from the new Kodak Vision 2 negative super 8 films. They seem to be the closest thing to 16mm (since they use the same emulsions). With the consistent processing and telecine from Spectra Film I have had excellent results. Just keep in mind it is a negative film and therefore cannot be projected as you would K-40.

It is sold here: www.spectrafilmandvideo.com

Thank you all !!

I was shooting the last couples of days so i was far from the forum.

Anyway, i'm gonna check out all the website you mentionned.

I really want to use K40 because of the particular look of this stock so...

I have one more question to you guys :

I would like to blow up to 35mm the K40. So i'm wondering how it works ?

I mean, if i'm shooting 1.85 for the 35mm part, can i ask the lab to blow the K40 into the 1.85 aspect ratio ?

Thanks again for your help.

• Premium Member

There are no Super-8 to 35mm optical printers that I am aware of.

Most people would transfer the Super-8 to HD and then do an HD-to-35mm transfer -- at great cost.

You'd have to compose Super-8 for cropping to 1.85.

Hiya,

There is a lab in New York : Cineric, that can do blow-up to 35mm from single/super8 source

( reversal or negative, color o black and white source footage ). In Europe, Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin is also doing that kind of optical blow-up.

Chao,

DHI

Santiago/Chile

Edited by Daniel Henriquez Ilic