project mostly gone & relinking files not working wooHOO!

David Edward Keen

Hey folks,

Hello from Hell.

I open FCPX. My project has mostly missing files. OK, i've been thru this before, had this heart attack before, and i learned to RELINK FILES. it took 30 seconds that time and all was fine.

This time, I went to relink files and no relink. Just the 'thinking' icon going round and round.

So i go to cancel the relink...maybe if I highlight small numbers of clips to relink instead of all of them at once...but pressing cancel leads to that rotating rainbow wheel of death, and the FCPX app is unresponsive, have to force quit.

Repeat, select a small number of clips (both video .movs and original music from itunes) same thing happens.

Force quit, try again, select ONE CLIP, same result.

so as of now, my video project, and my soul are gone somewhere. Any ideas highly appreciated!

Going forward I have to get my hands around this issue and learn whats happening or not happening with this stuff so I can stop being afraid that any given editing session will be the last one!

iMac Sierra

FCPX

Seagate Backup 2 TB HD (all clips are on here)

• Premium Member

I just meant make sure you have a copy of your project files with all of your clips on a separate hard drive.

Sometimes hard drives can fail or get corrupted, which would result in some of the issues you described. As long as the files are backed up safely on another drive, you should be ok.

• Premium Member

Google search "resetting FCPX" you've got a corrupt cache file structure. Easy fix, don't know where it is on your version though, apple moved it around on the different versions. It's one folder to trash and it will reset it. 10 second fix, plenty of video's about it online.