FATE OF THE FURIOUS

• Premium Member

My fifth involvement on this wonderful franchise has just set a new box office record for an opening weekend ($532.5K) surpassing STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and JURASSIC WORLD. I'm very proud of all of us for what was accomplished on this picture - especially, breaking the Cuban/American barrier and being able to film in Havana, Cuba. What an education and great experience that was. Our two Cuban camera assistants were absolutely wonderful. I expect that we may be back for FF9! At least I hope so!!!

G

• Premium Member

Wow, that's crazy. Congrats! I'm guessing Universal is a happy working environment today. Since you're "A" camera, do you see much of the big action work being shot or are you primarily involved in the smaller scenes with the main actors?

Edit: not that I would call the scenes with the main actors in a Fast and Furious movie "small"...

• Premium Member

Wow, that's crazy. Congrats! I'm guessing Universal is a happy working environment today. Since you're "A" camera, do you see much of the big action work being shot or are you primarily involved in the smaller scenes with the main actors?

Edit: not that I would call the scenes with the main actors in a Fast and Furious movie "small"...

That's right... there's no such thing as a small scene in a FF movie. Inserts have 3 cameras on them!!! As per your question, it's a combination of both. We have a large 2nd unit for the major stunt/action sequences but main unit also shares that responsibility in addition to the narrative scenes with the actors. For example, the opening act in Cuba was all main unit, shooting the action and the narrative.

G

• Premium Member

Congratulations again! ;)

I worked with Greg Baldi on Knight & Day! Tell him hello if you see him again although he won't remember me :D

Also, tell Tulio that it is about time for him to start pulling focus and take the old man to the B cam :P

As I said before, what you all did on this one is very difficult and you should just be so happy that everything looks and works that well.

Have a lovely day!!! :)

• Premium Member

Congratulations again! ;)

I worked with Greg Baldi on Knight & Day! Tell him hello if you see him again although he won't remember me :D

Also, tell Tulio that it is about time for him to start pulling focus and take the old man to the B cam :P

As I said before, what you all did on this one is very difficult and you should just be so happy that everything looks and works that well.

Have a lovely day!!! :)

I love working with Baldi! I certainly will say hello for you. As for Tulio, he actually is beginning to pull focus more and more. In fact, my former 2nd AC of 25 years will be doing GODZILLA with me. Thanks again for the kind words Miguel. Cheers!

G

• Premium Member

"Why are they shooting at me?"

"Because you're in an orange Lamborghini."

I can't presume to monopolise the forum with all the questions I could ask about how all that stuff is done, but it strikes me that it must be an absolutely gigantic task of organisation for the 1st AD or team thereof.

Presumably main unit doesn't shoot all of the car stunts, but even so, there must be an awful lot of logistics involved ensuring all the famous faces are in the right place for today's trick shot.

P

• Premium Member

I can't presume to monopolise the forum with all the questions I could ask about how all that stuff is done,

Totally agree, but at least stuff like this shows up occasionally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACqhllxK9Wk

I really love seeing the director of one of the super low budget movies I grew up watching (and laughing hysterically while watching called "Friday") direct one of the biggest movie franchises of my lifetime... and it does really well... and even better... breaks records??? It's just cool.

• Premium Member

"Why are they shooting at me?"

"Because you're in an orange Lamborghini."

I can't presume to monopolise the forum with all the questions I could ask about how all that stuff is done, but it strikes me that it must be an absolutely gigantic task of organisation for the 1st AD or team thereof.

Presumably main unit doesn't shoot all of the car stunts, but even so, there must be an awful lot of logistics involved ensuring all the famous faces are in the right place for today's trick shot.

P

It is a massive logistical effort Phil. The AD staff is pretty much 24/7. I don't know how they do it. It also takes an army of PAs. We had the full first unit, a "run of show" 2nd unit, a VFX unit and a splinter unit working most of the show. First unit shot for 89 days. I had an 8 week camera prep for that. On our final shipping day out of our camera rental house, Otto Nemenz Int. in Los Angeles, the first unit camera package took up 100% of their floor space, upstairs AND downstairs!!!

G