Bauer C2A Super cartridges?

tom lombard

Kodak still makes 3 color negative stocks and one B&W reversal stock for Super 8.

I generally order all my film via http://mononoawarefilm.com/film-stock/ or at www.buy8mmfilm.com for about $26 for color neg and $20 for B&W. Those are the cheapest suppliers out there unless you're buying large amounts from Kodak. Otherwise, you can also get stock from B&H or Adorama at $35 and $22 respectively. Pro8mm sells stock or stock+processing+scan packages as well but generally more expensive than the other options. Also Spectra Film Lab sells stock or stock+processing packages too.

So you've got some options!

My method is stock from mono no aware or buy8mmfilm.com then processing through CineLab near Boston then 2k scanning at Gamma Ray Digital also near Boston.

One of us is missing something. I believe that this Bauer takes drop in cartridges (that's what the manual reads) and your links are sources of stock. I'm looking for a source of the loaded cartridges or maybe a cartridge and info on reloading it.

Ha no worries. If you scroll about halfway down on either of those first pages like Mono No Aware you'll see a section called "Super 8mm" or Super 8 on buy8mmfilm. Those are the cartridges you're looking for. I used "stock" just as a catch all for film. These are no loose stock. These will plop right in your camera and you'll be good to go.

Also, don't forget, www.dwaynesphoto.com still has the AGFA 200Daylight film available under the Wittnerchrome 200D name. This is Color Reversal E-6 process film for $38 each cartridge, which they also process for $12 each. Since this film is much more light sensitive at ISO 200 than the former KODACHROME 40A (rated at ISO 25 in Daylight with the Filter), you'll have to use a Neutral Density filter on the front lens to cut the light down. A 4x ND filter will knock it down to where you need it for bright light. You could also use a Polarizing Filter if you have one available, as that will get you within a decent exposure range as well. Most of those era BAUER Super 8mm cameras had either a 49mm or 52mm filter thread, and there's plenty of low cost filters and step up adapters if needed, available on Ebay.

Hopefully, in due time we'll have EKTACHROME 100D color reversal film back from KODAK, and also another 100 Daylight film from FERRANIA. Good luck and have fun with the camera, nice viewfinder on it too.

Edited by Martin Baumgarten