British slate system with multi-cam, best practices?

Jay Young

• Premium Member

I generally use the British slate system. Everyone I describe the system to seems to fall in love with the simplicity. We have elaborate note takers in both editorial and camera teams, so its not a problem.

However, I'm about to start a multi-cam project and I'm a bit confused as to the proper procedure. That, and documentation on the British system is almost non existent.

Since I won't use multiple cameras for every shot, I assume I'll just write A or A/B on the slate and do a common mark? Mixed with the notes keeping track of which cameras shot what it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any helpful tips?

I haven't been a clapper loader for a long time.. but it was in the UK.. out of interest what is the British slate system.. ? or what is the US one.. just curious.. serious question not taking the piss..

Thanks

Edit.. From memory on the occasions there were multi cameras.. if they could all see the slate I would do one common slate for them.. if one couldn't see.. I would rip off the A tape and stick on a B and do a separate slate for that camera.. and get out the way ASAP.. but mostly anything multi camera was an end slate.. . also just blast off a few seconds of just the mute board.. so each camera had the info before hand.. then they just needed to see the clap..

Maybe others did it differently but seemed to be the way in the 80,s.. in the UK ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

I haven't been a clapper loader for a long time.. but it was in the UK.. out of interest what is the British slate system.. ? or what is the US one.. just curious.. serious question not taking the piss..

Thanks

Edit.. From memory on the occasions there were multi cameras.. if they could all see the slate I would do one common slate for them.. if one couldn't see.. I would rip off the A tape and stick on a B and do a separate slate for that camera.. and get out the way ASAP.. but mostly anything multi camera was an end slate.. . also just blast off a few seconds of just the mute board.. so each camera had the info before hand.. then they just needed to see the clap..

Maybe others did it differently but seemed to be the way in the 80,s.. in the UK ..

The UK / British slate system uses slate numbers which incrementally change on each setup, or whenever something major happens differently enough to warrant.

The US system uses the SCENE number as the first shot, and appends a letter to each following setup. It gets confusing when you have V166BC2 as a shot number, instead of Slate 455. Add the US complex shot ident with a Pickup or other crazy mark and I feel it gets way out of hand.

With a competent script supervisor and 2nd AC, the UK system is magic.

ok thanks.. I didnt know there was any other way to do it.. :).. I do remember the first slate I ever did some joker.. put a tiny bit of folded up camera tape in the hinge of the clapper board.. so it didnt make any sound when I nervously went to clap it.. the same clown put chicken drum sticks in the black bag.. apparently this was a rite of passage.. !

• Premium Member

A new product! The synching ball is coming, basically two halves of a ball on a stick that can be pounded together. Around the rim the black and white diagonal stripes. You can write on the upper and on the lower surfaces. Due to the ball form, cameras can record the mark from all sides.