Making of Detroit

Robin R Probyn

Yes I wondered about that too.. he loves film.. Im sure that took some persuading .. I dont know if budget had some thing to do with it.. I doubt it... and not an effects film thats for sure.. I think it might have come down to being able to do longer takes.. less re loads.. with 4 cameras rolling.. ?.. or having instant replay.. the only logical things I can think of .. I guess as long as he had his beloved S16 zooms it didn't matter so much.. after he was shown it could be made to look very similar to film .. ?

I did an interview with the DP for DIGITAL VIDEO that hasn't come out yet. He was won over to digital largely on the basis of director needing to shoot with so many cameras jammed into whatever cranny was available. He thought that using the 16 lenses with digital was kind of a 'best of both worlds' hybrid approach.

Ok thanks for the info.. size wise I,d have thought an Aaton would be a tiny bit smaller.. but to avoid reloads every 10 mins must have been a big reason.. I wonder if he will go "digital " considering the type of multi cam/"doc" style he favors ..I think its more the S16 zoom lenses he likes.. as long as the camera is sort of like Aaron size and balance.. cant see him toting a big Alexa around.. maybe the mini/Pana cage.. will convince alot of the ex Aaton guys who have moved up to features ..