PL adapters on Arri 2C

Samuel Berger

Howdy, I'm wondering if anyone here has experience using Arri Standard/Bayonet to PL mount adapters on the Arri 2C. About half inch into the convered PL lens mount there is the rotating shutter. I was thinking of getting inexpensive Arri mount lenses and just using adapters for the PL mount. But it seems to me from photos that the adapters might bonk into the center of the blades.

Is this concern valid? Thanks. I'm surprised this isn't something that's been discussed often.

• Premium Member

Yes as long as you avoid 16mm format lenses you should be fine. As a rule it's the wider focal lengths that protrude further back, so just avoid anything wider than a 16mm focal length in standard or bayo mount. If you're unsure if a particular Arri mount lens is for 16 or 35 post a link here. Adapters should stick to the same standards (although these days there are dodgy ones around).

You can check if a lens will clear a reflex mirror by turning the mirror out of the path, fitting the lens set to infinity, and then slowly inching the mirror around. If you feel any resistance, don't use the lens. Sometimes a lens or adapter will hit a baffle or groundglass holder rather than the mirror, in which case it just won't seat properly. Always test at infinity when the lens is retracted closest to the film plane.