All the info i can get

Guest yikes!_movies_rock!

Hi, i am only 16 but just getting interested in films. I would like to be a director eventualy, but i want to get all the background knowledge on cinomatography, and film making i can. could some one tell me what classes i should take, and how i should steer my education toward my goal. Thanks for you time. -steve-0

Hi, I currently attend Rockport College in Rockport Maine. They are a film and photo school that is even more known for their summer workshops for film and photo. They have a killer young filmmaker workshop during the summer. It is 4 weeks long I believe and from what I hear it is pretty intense. You learn every aspect of making a film and I think you even work with real film (probably 16mm although there is a lot of 35mm stuff being done while you are there for other workshops anyway). Its a great way to learn quite a bit and meet some great people.

www.theworkshops.com

You can always learn a lot buy just using a video camera and making your own movies at home. Many towns or countys have film groups and associations for the area that you might be able to help out with too.

good luck

-Shawn

I signed up for a program in a regular college in south Cal. Registered only for film courses, and then quit after I had done all of them, leaving all the pre requisites behind=)

READ THE AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER!!! That´s a very good paper where u will find alot of inspiration, for instance by reading about films such as "North fork" =) (hint hint)

And, as David said, watch alot of films and make your own with your family and friends.

GOOD LUCK!!! /Fredrik.

• Premium Member

Try and find a "mentor' in your region. Someone who wouldn't mind you tagging along and learning things on set. Oh! and if you want to direct, try writing some short stories and shooting on a borrowed camera.

Finally, get your hands dirty....experiment and play with stuff I find working with the tools is a damn site better than reading books and instead of blowing your cash on a film degree or workshop spend the money on a camera and learn, learn, learn...by your mistakes. Finally, Finally, there may also be free workshops in your area, to help understand the basics.

Rich Steel

Steadicam Owner/operator

HEY THANK YOU GUYS TONS!!!!!!!!! (sory i didn't repsond ealier i thoguht the site emailed you when you got repsonces). thanx for the suggestiong again and i'll look into exploring all of them!!!!!!!!!!!

-steve-o