Jump to content

On-set language (Camera Department)

Anzer Sizov

Recommended Posts

As someone who has done the opposite, working in Russia with Russian crews when I don't speak much Russian, I don't think you need to learn much slang.  I certainly didn't learn Russian movie slang, except for maybe, "Kino Korm"  and "Shapka"🙂

But I did learn how to say "forward" "backward" "mark" beginning" "end" "up" "down" "left" "right""faster" "slower" etc...  "kinoflow" is "kinoflow" in any language!

But your English seems quite good, so I think you're good to go with English speaking crews.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

And is that  universal?

(I promise it isn't. In theatrical and event work that's a "small TV stand," which comes from calling a "junior pin" a "TV spigot" in that field.)

Well, the number of risers is a fact, and ‘combo’ is what the manufacturers call them, so...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2018 at 12:36 PM, Jeff patnaude said:

OK- I have one to add.

I've heard one slang term for a dolly move called a "Micky Rooney."


A slow, little creep.



In the UK this would be called a "Paul Daniels"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...