Do the DP/Camera Operator Choose Their Own 1st AC?

peter bartle

• Premium Member

I usually try to choose a 1st I have worked with in the past. If I don't feel the rates are high enough to bring someone I normally work with out, or I simply can't find someone I like that is available, I have production show me a few resumes.

I like to work with people I know, and generally production knows that people that work together a lot develop a shorthand that allows them to move quicker, thus why wouldn?t production want someone you are comfortable with/ have a rapport?

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

It depends. The one exception is that if a shoot is not locally/abroad, the production will very likely insist to hire someone local, since otherwise they'd have to pay hotel/per diems to bring someone in. Not to mention that the tax shelter laws of different countries stipulate that you only get tax breaks if you hire local people.

• Premium Member

I've been on shows where the DP let the operator choose the 1st, and the 1st choose the 2nd and the loader. I've also been on shows where the DP had to choose very specifically who he/she wanted. I've also been on shows where it's a bit of both. I've never been on a show (besides commercials) where production chose all of those people without input from either the DP or operator, or both. Commercials are different in that many commercial producers always hire the same crew even though the DP and director change. But commercials are so short that it's normally not too big an issue.

• Premium Member

DP's will always have input on the camera crew hired, but usually the practice is for him to find the operator and 1st AC ("hire" isn't exactly the right word -- the production does the hiring) and let the 1st AC find the 2nd and loader. If I can't find an operator or 1st AC, then I let production send me some resumes and set-up some interviews.