"THE TERMINAL"

Dear Filmmakers,

How many of you have seen Spielbergs "The Terminal". What do you think of Kaminskis work in the terminal as well as in "Catch me if you can".

Why dont any of you really talk about any of Kaminskis work? He is the DP of one of the world's best Directors for one thing.

I really loved the crane shots from "THE TERMINAL" they where breath taking and powerfull also the romantic dinner scene with Tom Hanks and Cathrine Zeta Jones with the cool blue and pasty colors in the background and warm golden tones on the actors looked beautifull.

If you havnt seen "THE TERMINAL" you really should, it has amazing cinematography. Steven Spielberg and Janusz Kaminski can come up with some amazing stuff.

"Catch me if you can" also has some amazing composistions.

Thanks

• Premium Member

We had a whole discussion thread on Kaminski last year when those films came out.

I'm a big fan of his photography, which I think is very gutsy, like Robert Richardson's. Not quite as "out there" as some of Chris Doyle's work... But gutsy considering he's shooting expensive studio movies. He couldn't get away with it if it weren't for Spielberg backing him up probably.

The only reason The Terminal is worth seeing is either for the cinematography or because of Tom Hanks performance. Unless you like a pure, innocent, airy fairytale kind of movie a la Frank Capra (Mr. Deeds and Its a wonderful life Frank Capra mind you) this thing is not meant for you. I was expecting a realistic account of a true story. Instead I saw a piece full of characters that would only exist in a childrens story.

Now Catch me if you can - thats a FUN movie. A lot of style there. Personally, my favorite Spielberg film of all time (yep...I said it)

Actually it was rated a "B" for the overall movie by critics. And I think its one of the most realistic, and elegant movies ever. I am a immigrant from Russia (which is not that different from this make believe "Krakozia") and many of my reletives have immigrated here and we are not any different from his character. My parents work for a immigration company and actually it is very possible to have the same problem Victor Navorski (tom Hanks) had. And I think that it is one of the most inspirational films I have seen. Tom Hanks gave a great performance and I actaully felt like I was with him in that airport.

This film was so realistic Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks probably had to do allot of research. And what happened in this film has happened before. And I know that the airport reacted in the same way.

Maybe this story whent a little to far with Cathrine-Zeta Jones, BUT WHAT MOVIE DOESNT???

OVERALL THIS IS A REALISTIC, FUNNY, INTERESTING, INSPIRATIONAL, MOVIE.

You might call me crazy but this is coming from a guy that has seen this film over 5 times.

post-5236-1121556023.jpg

Actually it was rated a "B" for the overall movie by critics.

To each his own. I'm stating one man's opinion - not the critics, whom I often disagree with. (I still think Shyamalan's "The Village" is underrated.)

And I think its one of the most realistic, and elegant movies ever.

See what I mean - would you say your opinion has more validity over mine?

My parents work for a immigration company and actually it is very possible to have the same problem Victor Navorski (tom Hanks) had.

It happened. The film was based on a true story about a man who inhabitated an airport for many years. I'm not arguing with the realism of the event. I'm complaining about the way the characters carry themselves at certain points.

Because its been a long time since I've seen the Terminal, I can't give you numerous examples. But I do remember a particular sequence where Navorski is exiting the airport and all the characters are cheering him on. The celebration of his release from the terminal was so corny, it felt more like satire than genuine emotion.

Tom Hanks gave a great performance and I actaully felt like I was with him in that airport. 

I won't argue with that. I'm a huge fan of his work.

You might call me crazy but this is coming from a guy that has seen this film over 5 times.

No. The family that saw Titanic over 40 times was crazy.

Oh , and in reference to this being a cinematography forum - the day Tim Tyler threatens me with excommunication from this site is the day I stop talking about other aspects of film, which are often discussed here.

Guest filmmakermilan

I actually love the work that Kaminski does. Any time i watch Minority Report I tell myself how much I'm impressed with what he can do.