Bad film from the lab

I just got back a batch of film from the lab. I had the negative transferred to mini-dv. One roll however was pulsing with bad frames every second or so. The frames looked extremely grainy. Could this be a light leak? I find this strange because only one of my rolls came back like this. The rest were fine. I was shooting with an Rex-5 Bolex. I thougt maybe the filter holder wasn't in or something but I thought that would give me a constant washout on all the frames not this strobing/pulsing effect. Could this have been a lab issue?

• Premium Member
I just got back a batch of film from the lab.  I had the negative transferred to mini-dv.  One roll however was pulsing with bad frames every second or so.  The frames looked extremely grainy.  Could this be a light leak?  I find this strange because only one of my rolls came back like this.  The rest were fine.  I was shooting with an Rex-5 Bolex.  I thougt maybe the filter holder wasn't in or something but I thought that would give me a constant washout on all the frames not this strobing/pulsing effect.  Could this have been a lab issue?

Hi,

Could you post some bad frames?

Stephen

When you say transfered to Mini DV, do you mean you supervised the transfer and colour correction of the neg to tape? Or did you just hand it off to them and let them do it?

Did they use any noise reduction?

Why did you go to Mini DV and not D-beta?

Also, what ASA film is that 7218? 500T in 16mm is going to have some grain, that's for sure, and looks like you're in a low light situation there.

R,

• Premium Member

We had a similar problem with a Bolex and it was caused by shutter bounce. But it was pretty much throughout the rolls we shot. It looked much more noticeable on some than on others. I hear it is a pretty common issue with Bolexes.

-Tim

Could this have been a lab issue?
Almost certainly the lab would have processed all your rolls together. So it's very unlikely that one roll would be affected differently from the others.

Is the pulsing clear enough to tell if the rate (you say about one per second) varies throughout the roll? Things like X-ray fog (I'm with David, I'll have my money on that) happen when the film is in a roll. If the pulsing gets faster towads the end of the roll, then you have had a problem before exposure. If the pulsing starts fast and gets slower, then it happened after exposure and before processing. If it's regular, then it's not roll-based, and could be a camera problem - but it's hard to imagine what.

One second on 16mm film is about 7 1/4 inches. That's 2 1/4 inch diameter on the roll.

• Premium Member

Mild x-ray fogging will increase granularity, and can have a convolution repeat if one side of the roll is nearer the x-ray source. Likewise, if one side of the roll gets hot by being near a heat source or in the hot sun for a day, you could see a convolution repeat.

Short-ends and recans have more risk of having been stored improperly, and the grain increase caused by heat or radiation can sometimes be missed in simple clip testing.

I'll have to look at the footage more closely. I see to remember it being about the same through the entire roll.

I haven't been near anything that would produce x-rays (that I know of).

What is shutter bounce? Does the shutter on the Bolex stick?

This is home movie footage that I shot last summer. After the wedding I put the roll in my refrigerator for safe keeping.

Would a light leak be more consistent? If I did not have the filter in all the way could that have caused this?

The filter clip not in all the way or missing would show fogging at the edge of the frame.

I don't see any streaking that I'd expect to with shutter mistiming.

Has the lab looked at the camera negative ?

-Sam