Using film again

Lars.Erik

Hey people.

I've been shooting mainly HD stuff the recent years. I'll be doing a 2 day commercial shoot in a couple of weeks. As a assistand and camera B operator.

We'll be shooting with an ARRI SRII. Super 16.

My questions are, (and sorry if I seem stupid, just been a long time since I've done film, and I'm looking forward to it!):

1) when you check for hairs in the gate, do you have to take the lens of, or will a flash light in to the lens do the trick?

2) when loading the magazine, is there any tricks about the locks, I've heard some people (mainly from CML), who has had problems with this.

Thanks for any replies.

• Premium Member

1. Yes, unless you're on a zoom or a long lens - then you can see the gate magnified through the lens at the back.

2. The locks are pretty fail safe on the SR's as long as they're CLOSED. It's easy to miss the latch - always lift the lid to see it's closed properly. Oh, and don't forget the rollers for the film counter. On both sides...

• Premium Member

Your question about hairs in the gate brings up something that I meant to ask about a while ago. I did a feature at the beginning of the year and one of the assistants liked to check the gate from the back. Our main cameras were a Moviecam SL and a 535A, so it's easy to quickly do this....I'm just wondering how common it is. I'm used to assistants checking through the lens or by removing it. How common is it for an assistant to check from the back of the gate? I should probably start a new thread, but hopefully I'll get some responses here.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Your question about hairs in the gate brings up something that I meant to ask about a while ago.  I did a feature at the beginning of the year and one of the assistants liked to check the gate from the back.  Our main cameras were a Moviecam SL and a 535A, so it's easy to quickly do this....I'm just wondering how common it is.  I'm used to assistants checking through the lens or by removing it.  How common is it for an assistant to check from the back of the gate?  I should probably start a new thread, but hopefully I'll get some responses here.

Thanks.

Hi,

There are many ways to check the gate. Sometimes its quicker depending on camera & lens configuration. The 'Olderer' generation used to work this way as the camera was blimped. Removing the lens took longer!

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com