For all of you camera assistants who have been asked to DIY build your own variable ND filter with two polarisers, here is a plug-and-play solution: The Cinefade VariND just needs to be connected with an LBUS cable, no calibration required and can be remotely controlled from a cmotion cPro lens control system!

Thoughts? Comments? Has anyone used this system for interior to exterior shots or just to speed up ND changes, especially when working with RED cameras without internal NDs?

Rammstein-Cinefade-BTS-05.jpg

Cinefade-Introduction-Variable-ND-web.jpg

• Premium Member

When I couldn't get a CineFade, I tried putting a variable ND on the camera with a Preston motor to rotate it -- I found I couldn't make the exposure change smoothly, it sped up or slowed down in ways that were hard to time to the action. So I gave up and went back to an iris pull.

I wonder if the electric variable ND system that Sony have for the fs7II and now the FF fx9.. will ever make it into any variant of the Venice .. or they sell the technology.. it can also be remotely controlled from the app they have for the camera, by wifi..   its pretty amazing and very smooth .. auto mode is way better than any auto exposure ..or probably human iris pull.. could be handy for gimbal work..

I think that the technology the electronic variable NDs are based on are not good enough quality for pro cinema cameras yet. Apparently there is some digital colour correcting that goes on internally on the cameras to counteract the colour cast by the filters but I am not an expert on this topic. Having said that, Panavision may be figuring it our with their LCND.

9 hours ago, Oliver Janesh Christiansen said:

I think that the technology the electronic variable NDs are based on are not good enough quality for pro cinema cameras yet. Apparently there is some digital colour correcting that goes on internally on the cameras to counteract the colour cast by the filters but I am not an expert on this topic. Having said that, Panavision may be figuring it our with their LCND.

Yes your probably right ,and that would account for Sony not putting it into the Venice in its present form .. its not actually different filters .. just one piece of glass that get an electrical current passed through it .. and clear bit of glass when there is no ND.. unfortunately its not from Zero ND .. you have to start with ¼..  but if it could be "good enough" for cine use it one day, it  would really be a bonus.. its very convenient for getting it exactly where you want .. and would speed things up greatly.. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...