New here, have a question....

I have no experience in filmaking,but i know quite a bit about it just from ive watching movies my whole life, things ive picked up from behind the scenes segments, interviews etc. ive worked with a few camcorders. I write stories and Im working on a few ideas for scripts right now. I love to write.

I hope to get a nice high end camera like the Canon XL2 sometime in the future. My question is, if I have a camcorder( even if its an old VHS one ), what are some reasonably priced editing software to get. Im usually broke.

Plus what are some good books, manuals to get for novice filmmakers? Im really interested in the direction,writing,cinematography,art direction and music aspects of film.

I really like this site, and id appreciate any help. ............Thanks

Edited by WES

• 3 weeks later...
I have no experience in filmaking,but i know quite a bit about it just from ive  watching movies my whole life, things ive picked up from behind the scenes segments, interviews etc.  ive worked with a few camcorders. I write stories and Im working on a few ideas for scripts right now. I love to write.

I hope to get a nice high end camera like the Canon XL2 sometime in the future. My question is, if I have a camcorder( even if its an old VHS one ), what are some reasonably priced editing software to get. Im usually broke.

Plus what are some good books, manuals to get for novice filmmakers? Im really interested in the direction,writing,cinematography,art direction and music aspects of film.

I really like this site, and id appreciate any help. ............Thanks

Hi Wes,

Sounds like you don't know what part of film you want to do right now, or what parts, thats cool. I suggest you shoot lots of stuff, anything. Documentry, short subject, Public Service Anouncments. What ever grabs you. Just do it and see where it leads you. Get a camera, shoot, edit, put in music. You will get a feel of where you want to go and if it is for you.

I hate to say this... but remeber that it is a business. Unless you are independantly wealthy.

Good Luck!

Dave McMurray

• Premium Member

There are lots of simple editing software in the $100 range that all work fairly well for basic editing, like iMovie or Pinnacle Studio Pro. Sort of drag-n-drop editing but it works. You'll probably want to get a Firewire drive to hold the footage that you digitize into the computer. Trouble with using an old analog VHS camcorder is the lack of Firewire out from the camera, requiring some sort of external A/D converter box, like ones by Dazzle (I think.)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter Wilkens

Wes, since you enjoy watching movies, do yourself a big favor and get Robert Rodrigues' book, then rent the El Mariachi / Desperado DVD from NetFlix or your local vid store. You will be seriously inspired to what can be done FOR CHEAP and how to make the most out of a minimalist budget.

And the first thing he advises is, get yourself a cheap camcorder and FILM, FILM, FILM. Don't expect Star Wars 1-6 as your first script. Make a small 6-10 page script and FILM IT. You're already 10 times ahead of everyone else getting started because you love to write your own scripts.

The bottom line is, EVEN if you make 10 crappy films, you are someone who's already made 10 films. You're 10 films further along than you were.

Seriously, Hollywood pays 10's of millions of dollars to PROS and lots of THEM (WAY too many lately IMO and sadly) make the most horrible, awful, amateurish crappy films. So you'll be that much further ahead.

DO NOT move to Hollywood and DO NOT get discouraged. Always remember why you are doing this, LOVING THE ART OF MAKING YOUR OWN MOVIES, and that's all you will ever need.