Bell & Howell Super 8 Projector can barely see video image

Chris William

Lamp works good on projector however you can barely see an image.  I turned the focus and framer knobs every which way I can, to no avail. Any suggestions to fix this issue thanks

looked  through lens on small side and can't see anything i'm looking at. Small side can see upside down image that i'm looking at

Here are videos of a film playing. No lights on in room complete darkness, Shooting on a wall. As you can see the video is barely visible
https://youtu.be/CFUEyQECKD0

Thanks for help and suggestions

• Premium Member

I had a similar issue, turned out the guy I bought it from, installed the wrong bulb, so it was very dim. 

Some projectors ALSO have a "pause" diffuser which falls into place when the projector is stopped. 

Either way, doesn't sound like a horrible issue. Put the videos to "not visible" instead of "private" and we can diagnose further. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Chris William said:

Videos are public.  Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated.  I checked the lamp and its correct.

That's what "no lens" looks like on a film projector. Are you sure there is an optical element in play? 

I thought the lens might be the issue. The lens can be removed from projector by pulling the knob. I looked through one side and the image is flipped. When I look through the other side it look like the window privacy films you put on windows. Like this picture maxresdefault.jpg

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Chris William said:

I thought the lens might be the issue. The lens can be removed from projector by pulling the knob. I looked through one side and the image is flipped. When I look through the other side it look like the window privacy films you put on windows. Like this picture 

It may have a collapsed element. A good lens if you look from the back forward, should have an upside down image out of focus. If you look from front to back, it'll just have a small image of whatever background you're pointing it at. 

If you see anything thats "milky" like your picture, that's indicative of fungus, but THAT Much fungus inside a lens is a problem.