How to make money...

Quenell Jones

Do you have any experience whatsoever to sell yourself with? If not, I'd say the value of a newbie DP with a 30+ year old S-16 camera is to work for free on a few projects to build your reel.

After that it's a question of where you physically live to help determine your market and the general competition. Could be upwards of $500/day if you're lucky.

• Premium Member

Hi,

...and working for free for the rest of your life if you're not. I wouldn't buy any film camera with hopes of renting it to productions, especially not an old one like that. Frankly the higher the level of production I'm involved with the more likely it seems to be that they'll rent a camera anyway, and if you're shooting film that does imply a significant budget in any case.

Phil

Other options is to "pimp yourself out" with commercials, music videos, travel videos, etc. Be a one-man production team. I've made an ok living with my 50-year old Filmo doing just this. Shoot, I've had some fun shoots with Super8. Owning a camera means you can sell not to producers as much, but to end-clients.

thanks for the respones...but yes I do have a lot of experience but I just never owned a film camera...I feel I will be looking at the low buget sector...because of budget constraints...but I was looking to charge them about 300 a day...that to me seems resonable....of course depending on the situation I could go lower...but 300 as the starting point