DigiBeta 60min brand new $34 vs $190?!!

firsttimedirector

Ok, I'm doing telecine today, very excited to see the film on the big screen for the first time. But here is the thing: the telecine house quoted me $190 per blank 60min DigiBeta tape. And they say they only garantee quality if you use their tapes. But when I called a raw stock company I got $34 for a brand new Sony Digi Beta 60min tape. Am I missing something? I've heard that's how they screw you but just didn't think it would be this bad. Is there a chance it's not the same thing? Since I'll be needing more than one tape I don't want to just throw away my cash. Any advice on that and on my telecine session in general would be much appreciated. The colorist's demo reel btw was amazing.

• Premium Member
Ok, I'm doing telecine today, very excited to see the film on the big screen for the first time. But here is the thing: the telecine house quoted me $190 per blank 60min DigiBeta tape. And they say they only garantee quality if you use their tapes. But when I called a raw stock company I got $34 for a brand new Sony Digi Beta 60min tape. Am I missing something? I've heard that's how they screw you but just didn't think it would be this bad. Is there a chance it's not the same thing? Since I'll be needing more than one tape I don't want to just throw away my cash. Any advice on that and on my telecine session in general would be much appreciated. The colorist's demo reel btw was amazing.

Well, it could be that they've pre-stretched and blacked the tapes.That process would take over an hour of deck time + the tech to do it and is the best way to insure no drop-outs. That certainly sounds steep if not.

• Premium Member
Well, it could be that they've pre-stretched and blacked the tapes.That process would take over an hour of deck time + the tech to do it and is the best way to insure no drop-outs. That certainly sounds steep if not.

Hi,

I always take my own tapes to Telecine.

There is no problem to assemble edit. I have been in a telecine and had to set up the digi-beta myself! as they said they did not know how to work without pre-blacked tape! The Colorist was not much better with DaVinci!

Stephen