Miller Sprinter vs Sachtler Flowtech

Joseph Tam

Has anyone used the Miller Sprinter II Carbon Fiber legs? I haven't be able to find any Youtube reviews on it; how do they compare with the Flowtechs?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, as I'm trying to replace my Miller Solo legs. Those Solo legs with twist locks aren't very convenient on small shoots where I have to operate the camera with no assistants -- adjusting height becomes very cumbersome.

So my options are either:

1.     Replace the Solo legs with Sprinter II, and use my existing Mill Compass 15 head, OR
  2.     Go all out and get the Flowtech 75 with the Aktiv8T head

Option 1 will save me a bunch of money, but I know a good set of tripod is worth its weight in gold. So if the Sprinter II isn't that great compared to the Flowtechs, I'm willing to invest! I just need some real word opinions from people who've used the Sprinter II's, since none of the stores local in my city has a set for me to test.

• Premium Member

Can you just get the Flowtech legs and continue to use your Miller Compass head? I have Miller Solo 100mm legs as well, and I will often swap out for a Sachtler Video 15 SB or Video 18 SB without any issue.

Sometimes the variation in tie-down diameters from different manufacturers can result in fit issues even on the same size ball diameter, but there are plenty of after market tie-downs that can help with that.

The Flowtechs are pretty nice to use overall. I’ve only used the 75mm and not the 100mm version. I think the spreader on the 75mm legs are a bit plasticky and flimsy. You definitely need it though, the legs become floppy and annoying to use in my opinion without the spreader.

9 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Can you just get the Flowtech legs and continue to use your Miller Compass head? I have Miller Solo 100mm legs as well, and I will often swap out for a Sachtler Video 15 SB or Video 18 SB without any issue.

Sometimes the variation in tie-down diameters from different manufacturers can result in fit issues even on the same size ball diameter, but there are plenty of after market tie-downs that can help with that.

The Flowtechs are pretty nice to use overall. I’ve only used the 75mm and not the 100mm version. I think the spreader on the 75mm legs are a bit plasticky and flimsy. You definitely need it though, the legs become floppy and annoying to use in my opinion without the spreader.

I'm worried it'll be hard for me to sell the Miller Solo legs separately without the head, given it's not a very popular / well-known brand where I am based (Hong Kong).

Any thoughts on the longevity of the Flowtechs? Do you think they'll last years with the materials they used?

Also any ideas whether the Sachtler Aktiv8T head would be a worthwhile investment?

• Premium Member

Ah, I see. Depends on how rough your are with your gear, I guess. The Miller Solo legs are a lot more rugged in comparison. I’ve heard the spreader on the 100mm Flowtech is better built than the 75mm. That said, it’s very easy to swap out the spreader if something happens to it. 

Have not used an Activ head yet, so can’t say for sure. But Sachtler heads are generally pretty dependable. My Cine 30 HD has not needed service yet after 6-7 years. All of the Sachtler rental heads I’ve used seem to take a beating and keep on working. 

I just got the Aktiv8T and flow tech 75mm set, with off ground spreader , 2 days ago ! .. the question really is what camera /lens are you using .. I have a Sony fx9 /with Core V mount adaptor / mini V mounts , and the 28-135 Sony is my biggest lens .. for that set up it works  .. and counter balance well within limits .. but say my previous rig F5/ CN7 / Sigma cine zooms ,I dont think it would , need 100mm bowl for that ..

The head is great , there is a 100mm version but the weight specs are the same as the 8.. there is a set up one off procedure but its pretty easy and takes 5 minutes ..setting up the spigot basically .. but then its great .. no fiddling about under the bowl .. set level in literally seconds , they really have re invented the tripod head ..and the flow tech legs the same .. no bending down involved .. the leg spread does seem narrow with the spreader in "closed " position ,or Im just used to my 18p with midlevel spreader that had a very wide footprint .. too wide sometimes ..getting those damn rubber feet off /on is now also totally changed for the better and very easy .. the carrying handle is nice and you can use the bag shoulder strap directly on the legs too .. there is a reason almost everyone says no going back after using these legs .. 

But I would definitely give it a try out .. if your using a larger camera rf cine zooms I would go with the 100mm bowl setup ..or at the very least try the 75mm first to see if copes with your set up.. but the head and legs is a great combo .. and you can now go right down ground level on the sticks , dont need a high hat basically if you have the space ,there is an optional slider spigot kit too, so you can take the head off tripod and just plonk it onto any other set up with the same spigot .. 

Quite a few video,s out there now about the head and legs .. but Im a happy buyer for sure .. 

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about the Flowtech with Aktiv head for use with an Arri SR and also with Canon EOS cameras (much lighter of course). The expected weight range would be approximately 3 to 10 kg. So I'd be looking at the 100mm bowl. At about twice the price of an equivalent Miller the Sachtler Flowtech with Aktiv10 head would want to, be so much better and quicker to use. Can anyone else chime in with advice about the relative merits of the new Sachtler system, with the 100mm bowl? Even for single operators the lower-priced Miller wouldn't be all that much slower to use, surely? ... or would it? I don't envisage needing to set up a tripod extremely quickly. In other words I'm not likely to be shooting news or wildlife documentary etc. And if you are shooting news you would just use a shoulder rig anyway for quickly-needed shots. So is the Flowtech and Aktiv system really worth the extra cost, over the Miller?

• 1 year later...

a complete Sachtler Active 8 system with flotech legs u can get for just over 3k USD - Sachtler has now discontinued the ENG 2CF Speed lock (standard Non HD) legs and replaced it with flowtech 100 at a cost of 4k USD - this is just too expensive - im going to look into buying the miller legs hopefully the local dealer has a demo I can try out - my 18S1 head has never had a service and I guess its at least 14 years old - has a small tilt issue now (probably from being dropped) and was quoted roughly $1,800 USD for service - I dont know - I think sachtler has become quite expensive now - might be simpler to just buy a new miller system than service a Sachtler 18. Camgear have a T100 CF2/MS Carbon Fiber Tripod with Mid-Level Spreader looks decent but its 4.7k kgs when the sachtler 100 speed lock is around 4.3kgs - at $920 USD for the camgear I think I can handle the extra 400g