Some video clips

Gordon Highland

Keep in mind I'm not really a dedicated D.P. (nor am I seeking freelance work currently) I just have to take on that role in addition to wearing every other hat on the set. Most of this stuff I created completely by myself. I plan to recompress this and split the difference between Mac and PC gamma; it's a bit dark.

Demo Reel

I was going to wait until the finished version is online (I'll re-post then), but you can see the trailer and all kinds of other nifty schwag for my latest short called "Featurette" here, or just link from the previous page:

"Featurette"

I think you guys specifically would get a real kick out of it, cuz it's very "inside" industry-wise. It's basically a parody of DVD featurettes and their excessive butt-kissing (and Project Greenlight). It's been finished for months, but I'm going back through and blurring a bunch of stuff for legal reasons, and I just can't get motivated to do so right now.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

From watching the demo reel, there's some nice green screen work done, although the one thing that I found stuck out was the scene when those two men are circling, like they are just about to fight or something. Personally I would have used a dolly (or steadicam) to get some movement with the camera in there.

Anyway, aside fom that, pretty cool stuff.

Thank you. Yeah, it bugs me too in hindsight that they go off the edge of frame cuz it looks like bad composition, but I was afraid any camera moves would require too much work in post (both characters are the same actor-- one via greenscreen-- I shoulda just greenscreened them both so I could fake it), as that shot used the whole width of my greenscreen. With the girl in the line-drawing composites, I used the same screen but just put her on a treadmill (for the left-to-right shots) and animated the background instead! The shot in the actual project is very long (about two city blocks, which was an insane amount of illustration), but it worked ok.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
both characters are the same actor-- one via greenscreen

Ah... ok.. that puts a whole different perspective on things, in that case... that was pretty amazing work. (Sorry, I'm too ignorant to see that they were the same actor :blink: )

From a closer inspection, I'd say the only thing giving it away that it's green screened is the shadow on the wall (it's there when one character walks across it, but not there when the other walks across it)

But maybe that's a better idea having it like that, because it will help people realise that it's green screened, and that's the kind of stuff you can do.

From an amateurs point of view i.e. me, anyone who does green/blue screen work obviously has quite a lot of experience and knows what they are doing.

1. You know how it all works, you've got experience in it so making a blue screen based film shouldn't a problem.

2. You have to be using some pretty high resolution cameras to get a clean composite, so you're obviously used to using expensive kit, which would lead to an expensive production that would only hire a good DP.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
Keep in mind I'm not really a dedicated D.P. (nor am I seeking freelance work currently) I just have to take on that role in addition to wearing every other hat on the set.  Most of this stuff I created completely by myself.  I plan to recompress this and split the difference between Mac and PC gamma; it's a bit dark.

Hi,

Some interesting work, good to see different styles, impressive

reel!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Keep in mind I'm not really a dedicated D.P. (nor am I seeking freelance work currently)

Are u trying to say in a political way that most of the people in this forums trying to find a job?

I thought we suppose to help eachother, and especially the most advanced members the newest ones.

Correct me if I am wrong.As for the show reel, well I think it lacks a D.P. sometimes ;)

Dimitrios Koukas

Edited by Dimitrios Koukas

I was just trying to clarify that my reel is not as impressive as a cinematographer's should be, but I do not seek work strictly as a DP, either. I do a little bit of everything and am thus not great at any one thing specifically (maybe writing). I would be embarrassed if cinematography were the only quality I was judged upon, unlike many of the people on this forum who can comfortably make that claim.

I have a good full-time job, but without much security, and so I never know when I might suddenly need a reel. . . :huh: Someone in another forum said that not enough people post their work, so Tim created this forum, and I just happened to have something to share. I appreciate all feedback!

The making of RedLight Featurette was great! As I watched your demo reel, I kept saying "that person looks familiar"... "that looks like an actor that"... and finally, "I know her!"

Then I looked at your location. If you ever do need a freelance DP when you're wearing a different hat, feel free to give me a call! ;)

Good stuff!

Guest david west
I was just trying to clarify that my reel is not as impressive as a cinematographer's should be, but I do not seek work strictly as a DP, either.  I do a little bit of everything .....

somewhere, ,,,,recently....

i read an interesting point about demo reels.

the main thrust of the author was that we live in a digital age.

so,

make a reel that shows your skills in compostion.

make a reel that shows off your blue screen skills....

etc.

in other words, have several demo reels ready to go that are tailored to the type of work that you are seeking.

other than that the only comment that i would make is that i would look at the demo reels below...

your reel was clever, but strongly suggested video. if video is all that you want to do, that is fine.. if not, look at the reels below and you will see what i am trying to convey better than my words are able.

just do a search for all the DP's

Look at the Demo reels here

Edited by david west

• 4 months later...
Guest LondonFilmMan

I thought your demo reel was extensive and varied, therefore excellent! I feel that you have covered everything and could do anything. Your featurette is funny. It would be good to see the final result.

Demo Reel = varied, extensive = excellent work!

"Featurette" = from what I have seen so far, I like it, because it's funny. I think this could be good. So you've done the whole movie and now just fine tuning? Did you write the script?

"Featurette" = from what I have seen so far, I like it, because it's funny. I think this could be good. So you've done the whole movie and now just fine tuning? Did you write the script?

It might be a little confusing. When I first posted, all I had was a trailer for the short, cuz I was waiting for a couple of legal clearances. Then I put the whole 19-minute short online later ("Full Version," I think is the link). There is no actual movie called "RedLight," the Featurette itself WAS the short. It's all fictional and scripted. Yeah, I wrote it; the script is actually somewhere in the Writing section of that site. And I do play myself. There's also a director's intro on that same page that explains the concepts.

At the time, I'd never seen a mockumentary of a DVD featurette before. It's actually much funnier on DVD -- you pop in the disc and it looks like the movie RedLight, but the only menu option is Special Features, where you'll find the short and some other things.

Thanks much for your kind words!

• 2 weeks later...

what really stood out for me were the breasts of the girl talking on the phone in the first third of the reel.

other than that it's a nice video-reel.

you don't really tend in film direction, do you?

at least the reel suggests so.