Can you help me identify this TV and Video production equipment?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

School's%20closed%20circuit%20video%20&%

School's Closed-Circuit Video & TV Production Facilities 1972 

Robert Suchy
Guy Morrison - Chief Engineer
Sentinel Newspaper
That is all the I.D. on the back of the press photo.

I'm thinking #1 & #7 are the telecine machines. But what about the rest of the equipment? Any info on them?

Thanks!
Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Daniel D. Teoli Jr. changed the title to Can you help me identify this TV and Video production equipment?
  • Premium Member

1 and 7 -- Film chain projectors with changeovers.  They are the Bell & Howell models that were originally developed for WWII troop projection, but the design was so good, they continued to produced them well beyond the end of the War. The specification was developed by the US Government and models were made by B&H, DeVry and others.  Most you find are either OD Green or Tan colored.  They were made in both Telecine and standard projection configuration.

4,5 and 6 are racks full of audio and video monitors and patch panels

2 and 3 are 2" (Quad) video tape recorders/players.  2 looks like an RCA and 3 looks like an Ampex.

Edited by Frank Wylie
  • Like 1

Why, to show movies on TV, of course, just like the two-projector changeover configuration in movie theaters, except that the images are projected into video cameras instead of onto a screen.  Yep, we watched movies on film in those days, even on TV.

• Premium Member

These probably served dual purpose;  as both for feature film presentations on 16mm and for Newsfilm segments for daily news presentations.  The film usually was shown MOS with the reporter talking over the images, but there was the option for optical or magnetic location sound playback.

In fact, if you look at the left-most projector, you will see an impromptu "cue tab" on the film of this projector.  This let the operator know which segment was ready to go and allowed them to thread up the 2nd projector with the next news segment footage (if there was one).

Most stations shot VNF reversal on a 16mm camera (CP16, Canon Scoopic, B&H DR70, Frezollini, Auricon, etc.) well into the 1990's.