16mm Shutter Inquery

Christopher Guerrero

Hi,

the Pentaflex 16 or AK-16 is a ceap (because old) but great camera. it has an shuterangle from 180° to 0° which you can set to any angle you desire even wile shooting. it has quickcange magazines for 30m or 60m (120m mags are very rare and I have seen only once on).

it has a 3 lens turret and komes with a 12mm a 25mm and a 50mm lens. it is not for sound film.

an operating set costs at ebay between 255$ and 500$

some bolex cameras have a changable shutterangle as the SBM (from 135° to 0°) but they cost more and you can fix it only at 3 steps.

• Premium Member
Is there any inexpensive 16mm cameras with a low shutter perhaps under 75 degrees. A good price range would anything less than 1000 dollars. Thanks

Hi,

A Mitchell has an adjustable shutter. Not ideal for hand holding, being rackover. It's very steady. What do you want to film?

Stephen

Oh thanks for the info man, I really appreciate it. I wasnt aware that bolex cameras had variable shutters all the way to 0 and back to 180 degrees. Only that it had two shutter variables. Which models is it exactly?

Hi,

I have the Bolex SBM and there the shutter starts from 135° and can close to 0° but you can not fix it at every position you want unless you use a tape to fix the lever.

I belive that also the EL has a variable shutter but I belive that it starts at 170° .

The difference between the cameras is, that the el has an built in electric motor while the SBM has a springdriven motor and an optional external elecrtic motor (bot cameras can be synced and can take 400ft loads). they have bolex bayonet mount. I'm not sure if c-mount bolex cameras like the RX5 have a variable shutter, for sure the Bolex M has not.

daniel

hi,

correction of my last mail, I have cecked out the features of the different bolex modells (on the AMERICAN CINEMATORAPHER MANUAL), the EL and the EBM have a fixed shutter at 170°.

Only the h-16 REX5, the h-16 SBM have a variable shutter and it can be fixed at 135° (open), ~100°, 67,5° and closed.

the SB is like the SBM but can not take 120m (400ft) mags.

daniel