Film-Set Volunteers

Landon D. Parks

I know there was a discussion on here a week or so ago about working on a film-set for free, and how it is against the law to do so. but what if someone "Volunteers" to work on a film set? Is it still against the law? I volunteer at all kinds of places, never paid a cent, and its legal for them...

Just wondering... B)

landon: i think it is more an insurance issue than anything else. when you are not properly employed by the prod. company then there might be an insurance/ health risk issue. i guess they are scared that you sue the crap out of someone in case you get hit by a 20K :)

• Premium Member
I know there was a discussion on here a week or so ago about working on a film-set for free, and how it is against the law to do so. but what if someone "Volunteers" to work on a film set? Is it still against the law? I volunteer at all kinds of places, never paid a cent, and its legal for them...

Just wondering... B)

There are some non profit organisations, that u can work for them in a free basis, also u can sign a paper that says I will not ask for insurance rights, so it's up to you wether you will do it or not for your personal satisfaction or experience.

Many universities for example are doing experimental projects that call proffesionals to help.

I did the lighting design for a friend of mine in Luton England, for her Doctorate, and she covered me the ticket ,meals and accomodation.

I had some great fun, we were using three video projectors overlapping eachother, that were playing Videos from 2 V-jays

while all the lighting was manual and had to follow the dancer that was dancing with the random images on the projectors.

A really good teamwotk cause we all had to be synchronised with everything.

Video, dancer, music and lights.

Dimitrios Koukas