?? about 7240 and 7250

Chris Burke

Hi,

I just purchased about 3600' of 7240 which came in 360' rolls. I got one roll of 7250 which also came in a 360' roll. I have never heard of 360' lengths for 16mm. It also says magnetic striped. What does this mean? I would like to use this in short I am about to direct. I like the look of ektachrome for this movie. Can I use this film or will the odd length and magnetic stripe cause me some trouble? It is single perf, we plan to shoot Super 16 composed for 1.85:1. The final project will live on D5 HD tape. Thanks in advance for any info.

Chris

• Premium Member
Hi,

I just purchased about 3600' of 7240 which came in 360' rolls. I got one roll of 7250 which also came in a 360' roll. I have never heard of 360' lengths for 16mm. It also says magnetic striped. What does this mean? I would like to use this in short I am about to direct. I like the look of ektachrome for this movie. Can I use this film or will the odd length and magnetic stripe cause me some trouble? It is single perf, we plan to shoot Super 16 composed for 1.85:1. The final project will live on D5 HD tape. Thanks in advance for any info.

Chris

I am not sure if the emulsions you have bought are really fresh, or when the numbers have changed,

7240 it's a colour reversal film 125 ASA, while the 7250 is a 400Asa one, both tungsten.

I haven't heard rolls of 360 feet lately, and I am not sure if they ever excisted.

Magnetic striped means that they have a magnetic strip that u can use it to record sound for a magnetic sound projector, really common for 16 mm.

CP 16 cameras were for news gathering so u can record sound directly on them, so u had the image and sound ready to go.

I guess that is, this film is made for, unless it has the use also of a screenning positive. (to use it for theatrical release).

Dimitrios Koukas

Hi, i am no expert here, but as a guess your stock must be at least 10-15 years old, also guessing here, mag stripe will be in the area that the super 16 frame covers, so you can only shoot normal 16 and not super 16. Its probably in 360 ft lengths due to the added thickness of the mag stripe.Andy

Edited by k25rip

I am not sure if the emulsions you have bought are really fresh, or when the numbers have changed,

7240 it's a colour reversal film 125 ASA, while the 7250 is a 400Asa one, both tungsten.

I haven't heard rolls of 360 feet lately, and I am not sure if they ever excisted.

Magnetic striped means that they have a magnetic strip that u can use it to record sound for a magnetic sound projector, really common for 16 mm.

CP 16 cameras were for news gathering so u can record sound directly on them, so u had the image and sound ready to go.

I guess that is, this film is made for, unless it has the use also of a screenning positive. (to use it for theatrical release).

Dimitrios Koukas

I know that both emultions were made up until '04 I think, and the seller said that they were new, never opened, which they are. I just wonder if the magnetic stripe will get in the way of shooting Super 16 for 1.85. Have I lost that space to the stripe?

• Premium Member
I just wonder if the magnetic stripe will get in the way of shooting Super 16 for 1.85. Have I lost that space to the stripe?

YEP!

Super 16 uses the sound track area to give the theatrical aspect ratio. The sound stripe was painted on the soundtrack area.

I too am wondering how old the film is as Kodak stoped offering striped film several years ago, as the application of the stripe was an enviromental issue. Probaly applied with a solvent that ended up getting venter to the air.

• Premium Member
Hi, i am no expert here, but as a guess your stock must be at least 10-15 years old, also guessing here, mag stripe will be in the area that the super 16 frame covers, so you can only shoot normal 16 and not super 16. Its probably in 360 ft lengths due to the added thickness of the mag stripe.Andy

oops!

Yes I lost that part!

My mind went directly to Stanard 16 when u said magnetic strips, so I forgot to mentioned it, sorry but u don't have the space to record S16 on this anymore!!

Dimitrios Koukas