KNO FLOS AT HIGH SPEED, 60-120 FPS, FLICKER?

Hi, Im just wondering how much "flicker free safe" are Kno flos fixtures at speeds 60-120 fps with 180 degree shutter, has anyone experienced any flicker problems shooting with knos at these speeds? or are they really really flcker free at all means ( shoot is at studio, properly grounded and balanced charges, your normal studio stuff, green screen ).

Cheers and thank for all feedback.

Oscar

• Premium Member
Hi, Im just wondering how much "flicker free safe" are Kno flos fixtures at speeds 60-120 fps with 180 degree shutter, has anyone experienced any flicker problems shooting with knos at these speeds? or are they really really flcker free at all means ( shoot is at studio, properly grounded and balanced charges, your normal studio stuff, green screen ).

Oscar

Hi,

No problen whatsoever at 120 , you can also play with the shutter. I've shot 500 FPS with Kino's they are fine.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Kinos cycle very fast, much faster than any frame rate you're likely to shoot. However, if there are practical or commmercial fluorescents in the frame they can cause phasing problems up around 120fps (you can end up capturing a "dip" in the cycle instead of the peak).

• Premium Member

Oscar

How many hertz is the power there?

60HZ?

I don't think that there would be a problem.

U can try it with a video camera if you have one handy.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

I have worked with Image 80's at around 1000fps and they do flicker at that speed, I have also noticed the flicker at 500fps. I think it all depends on how far away the lights are and how diffused the light is, also if you have any specular highlights you will definitely notice the flicker. The safest way to work in highspeed would be to use large tungsten units, 5k and above, or any tungsten light running on DC power.

• 11 months later...
Hi,

No problen whatsoever at 120 , you can also play with the shutter. I've shot 500 FPS with Kino's they are fine.

Stephen

Stephen,

I'm shooting 35mm green screen (first time for green screen) at 30fps. Do you think any problem with Kino Flos for lighting green screen? i.e., flicker or stobe, I'm in the U.S.

Thanks,

Richard

Re: Flicker Issue

By design, Kino Flo high output electronics operate flicker free. Kino Flos have been tested for flicker from 6FPS to 150FPS, at various shutter angles at 100VAC, 120VAC and 230VAC (50/60Hz). There is no flicker at speeds higher than 150FPS.

Exceptions:

A: Damaged Kino Flo electronics could produce flicker at some speeds and shutter angles.

B: Old electronics (manufactured before 1997) could cause flicker at some speeds and shutter angles in 100VAC and 230VAC markets.

Sincerely,

Scott C. Stueckle

Kino Flo, Inc.

• Premium Member
Stephen,

I'm shooting 35mm green screen (first time for green screen) at 30fps. Do you think any problem with Kino Flos for lighting green screen? i.e., flicker or stobe, I'm in the U.S.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

Nothing to worry about. Domestic flourescents would work fine shooting 30fps in the US.

Stephen