Time Lapse Software for DV

George Lekovic

Does anybody know of a software that enables timelapse capture straight to the hard drive. Interval-recording option on small 3CCD DV cameras records few seconds every once in a while, as they are unable to capture one frame at the time.

But when camera is connected to computer via firewire it should be no proble for a computer to capture one frame at the time and make for nice time lapse photography. Is there a software that does this. Could still camera work too?

Thank you.

The only way to capture true time lapse is using something like the FireStore FS-4. It has the ability to record single frames for true time lapse. Connect it to the camera and you're good to go!

Any software that I'm aware of simply captures everyth Nth frame from normally recorded footage. The most you can shoot that way is an hour.

Yes, a still camera could work, but then you would have to convert all those still images into a frame sequence. It just time consuming.

Yes, there are many way to skin a cat--simulate time lapse--but if you want true time lapse and your taping some event that's longer than an hour, the FS-4 is the way to go.

Jay

• Premium Member
The only way to capture true time lapse is using something like the FireStore FS-4. It has the ability to record single frames for true time lapse. Connect it to the camera and you're good to go!

Any software that I'm aware of simply captures everyth Nth frame from normally recorded footage. The most you can shoot that way is an hour.

Jay

So you're saying those programs won't capture a frame at a time from a live camera feed?

The best for this is:

http://www.framethief.com

I've shot some nice time lapse with this. Heck leave the computer at home and just record an hour of continuous roll of the subject and then run it through the time lapse mode into the computer and have Frame Thief sample the tape at the intervol you want. The benefit to this is that you can change the intervol with each pass.

R,

Could still camera work too?

Still camera gives you 4k or better image size with good DSLR :)

there is free software for both mac and pc.

-will

Using a digital stills camera opens up a huge can of worms. Only a few on the market will be acceptable for time lapse. The reason is the shifts in white and black levels between shots.

A DSC was never designed to produce perfectly matching shots from one frame to the next. I know several people that have tried this and then had to spend huge amounts of time making the frames match using After Effects.

The only way to test your camera is to shoot say 24 shots of a white piece of paper under studio lights. Then import all 24 shots and build them into a quick time movie. Now playback the movie on a monitor. Is there flashing from frame to frame? If there is the camera won't work for time lapse.

You need to have 24 frames perfect with no changes in levels from frame to frame, so your movie should just look white with no changes. Some cameras will do this, others will not.

R,

You need to have 24 frames perfect with no changes in levels from frame to frame, so your movie should just look white with no changes. Some cameras will do this, others will not.

R,

Thanks,

That was the way I wanted to go woth in order to capture HQ footage. Do you know which cameras are acceptable and which are not. I have access to D10, S2 and S3.

Thank you.