ALCS Single-Speed Crystal Controller for CP16R

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

I will collect the final orders for the 1-speed CP16R crystal update kits this Spring and can make couple of installation kits in Autumn2024. If there is orders, I will try to build and extra one or two if it is possible so that I would have something in stock if someone would need a kit years later. Additionally I will keep some spare boards in case someone needs a replacement but those are not sold, only kept for warranty purposes.

I can make the previously described internal film counters in the same batch too, but only at the same time when building the last 1-speed kits and not before or later. The film counter software is not finished as there was no demand for it previously and thus will need to know beforehand if it is needed or not so that I know to reserve some time to finish the software.

After that single last batch I will have to concentrate on other projects and because the CP16 camera modifications seem to be very low demand items (I was only able to sell two of the basic kits total) it is likely that no other stuff will be developed for the CP16 cameras by me. These 1-speed kits are relatively affordable products and are only possible to build if I make multiple of them at the same time, so there has to be some demand to keep them available in the first place.

So the deadline for final orders of the 1-speed CP16 crystal sync update kit is May15th, 2024 and they need to be paid for in May2024 so that I can reserve enough resources to make the batch in time. If you want to order the built-in footage counter, the same deadlines apply.

Price for the 1-speed crystal sync kit is 400usd + shipping a piece, two kits for 700usd + shipping. Footage counter board is 150usd + shipping. The kits are shipping in late 2024, likely in September or October if there is orders so that the batch can be made.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Posted (edited)
COLLECTING FINAL ORDERS for the 1-speed CP16R update electronics, LET ME KNOW BEFORE APRIL 20 IF WANTING ONE!!!. I still have possibility to make one batch of these in Summer but this will be the last chance to get one, I technically already discontinued this product last year but can still give one last chance to order if there is someone needing it. This project did not create revenue and I need the storage space for other stuff but would hate throwing the materials and board away if there is a chance someone still needing a kit for their camera.

The 1-speed update electronics completely replace the old control electronics of the CP16 camera, you can see in the picture the insides of the camera after the installation, the only original component used is the motor itself and everything else including the tachometer sensor is replaced with modern electronics and the design of the update kit allows very easy servicing of the camera for leaving all the mechanical parts easily accessible and not blocked by circuit boards like with the original electronics.
No shutter parking, there is a inching function which is easy to use to manually park the shutter by pressing the button shortly once or twice to run the camera just a tiny bit forward until one sees the mirror is in viewing position. the same inching button can be used to run the camera at slow speed (adjustable with a trimmer on the circuit board) to shoot basic "time lapse" kind of effects.
The camera has one internal crystal speed of either 24 or 25 fps. More speeds can be fed via the 6-pin accessory connector on the back panel and it has additional start-stop connection and footage counter pulse output as well. The update kit is tested with a CP16R with 25fps belt gears (red coloured belt gear) but if your camera has 24fps gear I will need some easy to measure information about the gear tooth count to ensure that the kit is setup correctly here.

Price is 450usd + shipping per kit, or two kits for 800 including shipping.

This is a user installable update kit, includes very good instructions how to install it to the camera. The back panel colour may be slightly different from the images and the switch is slightly different and will have a protection collar.

Like mentioned before, this is the absolute last chance to order one and I can only make one final batch if there is enough paid orders this Spring. If not, I will throw most of the materials away and sell my test camera body to make room for other projects and only keep the absolute minimum to have couple of spare parts in case the existing users need them. No new kits possible to sell then anymore.

339296646_768892774563596_7485412470874373411_n.jpg

339329141_1369210230288975_3320185581602330925_n.jpg

339331041_175201001656278_753690825935961009_n.jpg

Edited by Aapo Lettinen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/15/2024 at 12:05 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:
COLLECTING FINAL ORDERS for the 1-speed CP16R update electronics, LET ME KNOW BEFORE APRIL 20 IF WANTING ONE!!!. I still have possibility to make one batch of these in Summer but this will be the last chance to get one, I technically already discontinued this product last year but can still give one last chance to order if there is someone needing it. This project did not create revenue and I need the storage space for other stuff but would hate throwing the materials and board away if there is a chance someone still needing a kit for their camera.

The 1-speed update electronics completely replace the old control electronics of the CP16 camera, you can see in the picture the insides of the camera after the installation, the only original component used is the motor itself and everything else including the tachometer sensor is replaced with modern electronics and the design of the update kit allows very easy servicing of the camera for leaving all the mechanical parts easily accessible and not blocked by circuit boards like with the original electronics.
No shutter parking, there is a inching function which is easy to use to manually park the shutter by pressing the button shortly once or twice to run the camera just a tiny bit forward until one sees the mirror is in viewing position. the same inching button can be used to run the camera at slow speed (adjustable with a trimmer on the circuit board) to shoot basic "time lapse" kind of effects.
The camera has one internal crystal speed of either 24 or 25 fps. More speeds can be fed via the 6-pin accessory connector on the back panel and it has additional start-stop connection and footage counter pulse output as well. The update kit is tested with a CP16R with 25fps belt gears (red coloured belt gear) but if your camera has 24fps gear I will need some easy to measure information about the gear tooth count to ensure that the kit is setup correctly here.

Price is 450usd + shipping per kit, or two kits for 800 including shipping.

This is a user installable update kit, includes very good instructions how to install it to the camera. The back panel colour may be slightly different from the images and the switch is slightly different and will have a protection collar.

Like mentioned before, this is the absolute last chance to order one and I can only make one final batch if there is enough paid orders this Spring. If not, I will throw most of the materials away and sell my test camera body to make room for other projects and only keep the absolute minimum to have couple of spare parts in case the existing users need them. No new kits possible to sell then anymore.

339296646_768892774563596_7485412470874373411_n.jpg

339329141_1369210230288975_3320185581602330925_n.jpg

339331041_175201001656278_753690825935961009_n.jpg

Anyone interested in the 1-speed system?

there is still about 2 weeks left to order these kits if you need one. As said I will probably throw the leftover parts away and sell the camera body in Summer so there will be no cp16r crystal update kits available then anymore

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/3/2024 at 11:08 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

Anyone interested in the 1-speed system?

there is still about 2 weeks left to order these kits if you need one. As said I will probably throw the leftover parts away and sell the camera body in Summer so there will be no cp16r crystal update kits available then anymore

Still couple of days left to order. No one has asked about these so far so looks like it is safe to discontinue it after all?

I checked out some things and it does not seem to be practical to make user installable kits like this anymore. Could make a technician installed more advanced kit later but that would be much much more expensive so very uncertain would it work at all.

Again, still couple of days left to order if you need the 1-speed system for the CP16 camera. this will likely be the last user installable kit available for this camera model and if there would be any kind of later model made at some point it would need to be camera tech installed for being too complicated for anyone to install by themselves