Questions about AATON XTR and Monitor

Zichen Chang

Dear filmmakers, I have some questions and seek your help.

I want to connect a monitor when shooting with 16mm film camera AATON XTR.
AATON XTR has a VSA Assist system.
I'm using a modern monitor connect to it but nothing is showing.
What monitor should I connect to that assist system?
Or what signal converter or adapter should I use to convert the signal to be usable by modern monitors?

Thank You and Looking forward to your answer!!!

• Premium Member

Film cameras stock video taps are generally SD composite video. 

This means you need a monitor with composite video, not SDI which is the current standard. 

You can easily adapt with a Blackmagic composite to SDI converter, available at your local/favorite Blackmagic retail establishment. They run of 5v USB, so easy to power with an adaptor to D-tap. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Here’s a few photos of the kind of clumsy setup I cobbled together for the last short I did on an Aaton XTR Plus. I would do it cleaner this time around. 

We ran the Aaton tap into a Blackmagic Analog to SDI converter taped to the mag, then out to my small viewfinder, a Cineroid EVF4. We powered both from a V mount battery and plate on the front rods. 

Not just any modern monitor will work though, you need something that will display SD resolution (some Atmos won’t), so check it’s specs.

-Tristan

03D6AACB-305D-4054-AC76-A8EC62FF503F.jpeg

A2EE60CC-CA74-4DEE-AB16-E691CCD34B12.jpeg

• 6 months later...
On 10/5/2022 at 3:08 AM, Tristan Noelle said:

Here’s a few photos of the kind of clumsy setup I cobbled together for the last short I did on an Aaton XTR Plus. I would do it cleaner this time around. 

We ran the Aaton tap into a Blackmagic Analog to SDI converter taped to the mag, then out to my small viewfinder, a Cineroid EVF4. We powered both from a V mount battery and plate on the front rods. 

Not just any modern monitor will work though, you need something that will display SD resolution (some Atmos won’t), so check it’s specs.

-Tristan

03D6AACB-305D-4054-AC76-A8EC62FF503F.jpeg

A2EE60CC-CA74-4DEE-AB16-E691CCD34B12.jpeg

What cable were you running from the Blackmagic converter to the v mount bat for power?