Cameflex Eclair motor runs but shutter is not moving.

robbie Land

I have a Eclair Cameflex, motor runs almost perfect, but the shutter does not move. I can turn w shutter knob and slightly with inching knob. But when camera runs, shutter just sits. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Or if you may have specific service folk in the states that may resolve issue. Thanks for any assistance.

Dear Robbie,

Visual Products can probably fix it.

I would take it to bits and have a look to see what's going on.

I made a Cameflex stripdown guide a while back that shows you how to take it to bits. It's a PDF but you can download it from here:

https://we.tl/t-jekJrP2P3g

There is one photo missing. It shows the correct position that the shutter knob has to be in before you can take the back plate off easily.

I'll try to make an amended version and upload it to Wetransfer and then you'll be able to see what's going on.

From your video it looks like the variable shutter is slightly bent and can't get past the prism. However, having said that, the motor would not turn at all.

Cheers

Marek

Here's an even better version. I opened one of mine up and took some more photos for you. Should be fairly straightforward to check if yours is set up right. 

One thing I noticed was that I have a feeling that the variable shutter is bent out of shape. If it gets caught underneath the ground glass then it won't be able to move. However, if it can't move then neither can the rest of it and your motor runs.

Have a look and see what you think.

https://we.tl/t-Gk866efFqv

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a body minus a few bits that I was going to sell to someone in the US for £300. The main mechanism works perfectly so all you would need to do is take the back plate off the body, add the parts that are missing from your one and you'll be good to go.

I'll make a video and upload it to Youtube later on today and you'll be able to see what I mean. If it takes your fancy I can get it to you in a couple of days.

Cheers

Marek