Bell & Howell 70H Filmo 16mm Camera

robert louis

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with this camera or better still owns one. A little background on mine, I acquired it new back in 1975 and used it now and then making films. Then it was stored and used again in 1999 to do a film. It was fine. Then I stored it again and took it out this year to run it a little. It was stored for 23 years if you do the math. I wound it up and ran it. It ran erratically (no strange noise) and towards the end of the wind slowed on and off, dying out. It was oiled as suggested so that's not the problem I think unless it needs a lot of it ( 2-3 drops were put in the proper holes). Any thoughts on what's happening or happened? Thanks. RL

It was stored in a hard case in a bedroom closet with plenty of silica gel packs. I want to also say it does make abnormal noises. I just ran it again. I have the hand crank and I used that and it sounds fine at all speeds and also the electric motor does the same so I'm thinking it's in the wind key guts (spring, etc.). What do you think?  I put some more oil in but to no avail. I think it has plenty. RL

• Premium Member

They’re normally very sturdy cameras, but dried lubrication will cause them to slow.  Did you oil the shutter bearing in the front as well? Does it manually turn over without noticeable tight spots?

The front can be removed fairly easily (if the spring is wound down) so you can check the shutter and pulldown, but I wouldn’t go any further. 

The oiling ports don’t reach every bearing and sliding surface in the camera, so it may just need an overhaul, but I don’t know who might do that these days. 

I wrote this 10 years ago about the Eyemo, which is similar, to give you a sense of what’s inside:

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com/2013/06/inside-bell-howell-eyemo.html

Thanks Dom for all the info. They are indeed workhorses so that's the confusing part although it did sit for many years unused. I should of ran it at least every 6 months. Anyway, when you say the shutter bearing do you mean that pin between the lenses on the turret or deeper to the shutter itself? What do you mean does it manually turn over? How do I take off the front, and front meaning what? I know of a place in Pittsburgh, PA (USA) that would overhaul it but it would cost too much and I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons. Let me know. Thanks. RL

Dom, I read your Eyemo writing. Excellent. Now I know what you are talking about. I don't think I'm going to attempt it though, I don't want parts going all over the place and then I'm stuck. The camera is running fine when I use crank and motor, so it must be down deep that needs oiling and grease. I think the shutter's fine, I'll look at it through the lens mount opening tomorrow. Like I said it just runs erratic and noisy only with the wind up. If I'm gonna sell it down the road I'll have a pro overhaul it, but for now I can use the crank like the old silents or attach the motor. It use to run excellent when I used the wind key, quick stop and goes, the end of the wind stopping on a dime. What do you think, part-wise would make it drag at the end of the wind and finally dying off? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. RL

• Premium Member

The 70-H has more oil points. If you pull out the winding key and lightly poke down in there with a knitting needle you will feel a soft resistance. In that case a felt pad is inserted. Give it five drops of sewing machine oil. Another place is the foot counter toothed disc, give a drop so that it will creep under it. The hand crank shaft has an oil bore, there one drop, too. I service Bell & Howell products.

• Premium Member

9 hours ago, robert louis said:

when you say the shutter bearing do you mean that pin between the lenses on the turret or deeper to the shutter itself? 

Yes, I mean the plain bearing for the shutter spindle that is lubricated by removing the plug in the middle of the turret and putting in some oil. A dry shutter bearing is the most common issue I've come across with Filmos. 

9 hours ago, robert louis said:

What do you mean does it manually turn over? 

I mean how does it feel when you use the hand crank to manually advance the film (or just the mechanism). If you turn slowly you can sometimes feel if there is a tight spot in the mechanism caused by something perhaps clogging a gear tooth or otherwise obstructing the mechanism. 

8 hours ago, robert louis said:

What do you think, part-wise would make it drag at the end of the wind and finally dying off? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. RL

A spring only has so much power, if the mechanism has extra drag (either because of an obstruction or a lack of lubrication) it will slow down prematurely. The most likely explanation is a lack of lubrication somewhere.

16 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

The 70-H has more oil points. If you pull out the winding key and lightly poke down in there with a knitting needle you will feel a soft resistance. In that case a felt pad is inserted. Give it five drops of sewing machine oil. Another place is the foot counter toothed disc, give a drop so that it will creep under it. The hand crank shaft has an oil bore, there one drop, too. I service Bell & Howell products.

Don't know if you got this, Simon. I'm new at these forums and don't know if I'm replying right. Let me know you got this. Thanks so much Simon. Works like a charm now. 100% better. As good as it will get. Now how often do I oil in the wind key hole? Always 5 drops of oil when I do it? Let me know. Thanks. RL

• Premium Member

Bell & Howell recommended to oil the camera after 5,000 feet of film (50 rolls) in continued use or after two years idle. The inner pad needs little oil, one or two drops, once its soaked. I’m happy that I could help.

6 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

Bell & Howell recommended to oil the camera after 5,000 feet of film (50 rolls) in continued use or after two years idle. The inner pad needs little oil, one or two drops, once its soaked. I’m happy that I could help.

Don't want to keep bugging you Simon, last question. Does it matter how you store the camera in regards to the oiling settling wrong, you know with gravity and all? This is for long term storage I'm concerned with. I always stored the camera on the flat wind key side, horizontally. Should it be vertical or horizontal, or either way is fine? Thanks again in advance. RL

• Premium Member

We tend to overthink but since you’ve asked I can answer. My recommendation is to lay a Filmo or an Eyemo with the spring up as they are in their respective cases. That way oil will not run towards the main spring which is lubricated with graphite. Graphite and oil can build a sticky pack together, not so much of a problem in summer but when the mechanism is getting cold.

Robert,

Where in Jersey are you located? I'm in Philly and could show you some tips on basic servicing and troubleshooting using one of my Filmos. Nothing deep into the camera, just removing the shutter plate itself in the case you ever find it really stuck.

Phil Forrest

15 hours ago, Philip Forrest said:

Robert,

Where in Jersey are you located? I'm in Philly and could show you some tips on basic servicing and troubleshooting using one of my Filmos. Nothing deep into the camera, just removing the shutter plate itself in the case you ever find it really stuck.

Phil Forrest

Thanks Phil, I know how to remove the shutter plate. Which model do you have? RL