Should museums repatriate their collections?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I think it is a new trend now. You know the equity, justice and reparations trend to perfect our world. 

https://observer.com/2022/12/pope-francis-orders-the-return-of-the-vaticans-collection-of-parthenon-marbles-to-greece/?

British Museum:

In response to reports surrounding the meeting, the museum said that while it’s seeking a new and positive partnership with Greece, the objects likely won’t be returned anytime soon. “We operate within the law and we’re not going to dismantle our great collection as it tells a unique story of our common humanity,” said the British Museum in a statement.

h_2000-crm-la-181030_naturalhistorymuseu

L.A. Natural History Museum 

Internet Photo - Fair Use

In the 1990's  I was talking with a curator at the L.A. Natural History Museum. I was trying to track down some shrunken heads I had heard they had in their collection. They would not even admit to having them. The curator said if it got out they had them, the Indians in South America would try to get them back...or some such thing.

In the 1980's the L.A. Natural History Museum had on permanent display an American Indian mummy. But that was taken down long ago. I wish I had taken photos of the mummy. It was fantastic mummy and had on buckskins and Indian beads. You can't find a photo of it anywhere. It was the same deal. They could not display it, or the Indians would want it back.

Shrunken%20Heads%20booklet%20D.D.%20Teol

Shrunken heads are an interesting area of study

DDTJRAC

I'm thinking more and more history will be repatriated over time. One Director may say no, the next Director will say yes. The example of the Pope sums it up. So, if there is some controversial art of historical object in your local, document it. One day it may be gone. If Peak Oil hits, you may not be able to travel inexpensively to see it again.

...Personally, I'm not for repatriation of art of history. Unless you are talking about the type of repatriation dealing with the NAZI's of WW2 or similar type of thing. 

<><><><>

Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Small Gauge Film Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Advertising Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. VHS Video Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Popular Culture Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Audio Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Social Documentary Photography

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Hi!

This is a difficult topic: Some pieces in Berlin‘s museums have been stolen from their original owners (even though the museums probably didn’t know when buying them), e.g.:

https://www.humboldtforum.org/en/temporaere-neukonzeption-der-benin-sammlung/

I think it’s more than fair to return* these objects. (But I still think that it’s unfair to blame the museums without also blaming the auctioneers in Paris and London.)

Other pieces in Berlin’s museums have been bought in the countries of origin from the local governments. On top, the museums/archaeologists had to organize and pay the excavation themselves and even had to pay the rights for the excavation, e.g. in Troy. The old invoices still exist. I can understand that the people in these countries would like to have "their" historic objects back. But their governments should have thought of this before selling anything. Here, I don’t like the idea of "returning anything".

Then, there are objects from the former German colonies (yes, Germany had some before WW1). Some of these items have been "presents" to the German government/emperor. But nobody knows if pressure has been applied to enforce these "gifts". (In some cases, there are even documents that proof that the "donor" and his/her family died under strange circumstances before or right after officially handing over the objects.) So it looks like these "gifts" have been in fact stolen. Hence, they should be returned*.

Just my two cents,

Jörg

*= I don’t like the idea of shipping historical objects as they might get damaged/destroyed/lost during the transport. Hence, I would prefer if the heirs of the theft victims would simply officially sell or rent these items to the museums that currently store them. Of course, documenting the way how these items ended up in these museums should be part of the exhibitions.