Pistol grip for Arriflex SB 16mm

Iolo Edwards

Hi

I wonder if you can help me. I have the original Arriflex shoulder rig for my Arriflex SB 16mm camera, but it's missing the pistol grip that allows the camera to attach to it. 

Any ideas what I could use as an alternative? Those original pistol grips are very difficult to come by but maybe there's a modern equivalent I could use instead? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Here's an example of the shoulder rig with pistol grip attached: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325520570202?hash=item4bca89b75a:g:cAQAAOSweBlj22bg&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoJUg8RoNr0CWLuMmY%2BKA7vzslBLbAtGykJI7EZS%2FkMMivYiFf2TApXx6R1Lkwju61PtPmE1HkGS9INUxaDEBI96m9SHeLhH3hFz9husxVGOAVDEj6HrBxLFhxrxKjmGT5ULn62yjfQKaoLKezA%2FXbb2PoYUkiJRVmfqX7drl2m5jTcIajaFvdh9HKR3xcnMEn4NUrfFi8ktxfTHwLlNVgCU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7Lop-fNYQ 

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

The pistol grips come up as loose parts on ebay from time to time, you just need to be very very patient.  I slowly put together from parts a short shoulder brace rig (the long chrome stalk with the "C" shoulder part) with the pistol grip, the articulated shoulder rig with the pistol grip, and a just-pistol grip.  Note the ones that go into the shoulder rigs have a much longer tripod thread, to reach through both the big thick cinching nut AND the rig base plate, compared to the just-pistol-grip.  Don't buy the short threaded one if you're looking for it to go into a shoulder rig.

Duncan

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here's one now!  But it's missing the big cinching nut, which makes the price a little crazy.  You could always try making him an offer.  (I/m not sure it's going to be any easier to find the big nut, but at least in theory you could make one, whereas making the pistol grip would be quite a bit harder!)

Duncan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185651320679?hash=item2b39ae5767

• Like 1

• Premium Member

But is that the one that just attaches to the camera (short tripod thread sticking past the nut) or the one intended for one of the rigs (long tripod thread sticking up past the nut)?  A picture from the other angle would tell the tale.  It will be useful to someone either way, but the OP would find it more useful if it's the latter.

Duncan

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well that pistol grip is still quite useful - it allows you to use the 16ST in a more handheld configuration, but start and stop the motor with the trigger.  I wish arri had figured out some way to not have two entirely different grips that look virtually identical, so this wouldn't be so confusing!

Duncan

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 5:42 PM, Duncan Brown said:

Well that pistol grip is still quite useful - it allows you to use the 16ST in a more handheld configuration, but start and stop the motor with the trigger.  I wish arri had figured out some way to not have two entirely different grips that look virtually identical, so this wouldn't be so confusing!

Duncan

Thanks for all your input on this Duncan. Apologies for being so late in getting back to you.