Experimental short sci-fi film

Hi guys.

A couple of weeks ago I had some more free time and started rewriting some feature screenplays that I had been working on them.

Then due to an unfortunate incident I stumbled onto a funny story for a short comedy film that I decided to write and shoot the next week, but at the same time had been wanting to try out a couple of things and since I was shooting anyway, I figured that's make another short. That's how this short sci-fi film happened.

I shot it in order to test out a few things that I had been meaning to try out for another project down the line. Stuff like, a different approach to writing dialog, trying out some lighting techniques, playing around with a projector, finding a cheap way (as in stuff that I had at home) to show stuff like props and a couple of things to do with post production.  

Since it was a simple home test project, unfortunately I acted in it, which means it basically sucks since I'm no where near anything resembling an actor. 

Hope you enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Thanks for sharing! It’s really a great short movie.

I like the lighting, especially the reflections on your head/face. I also love how you created a whole spaceship cockpit/bridge out of some tablets/laptops, some illuminated switches and something that is most likely a mixing desk. ?

BTW: I don’t think that you are a bad actor. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Hi!

Thanks for sharing! It’s really a great short movie.

I like the lighting, especially the reflections on your head/face. I also love how you created a whole spaceship cockpit/bridge out of some tablets/laptops, some illuminated switches and something that is most likely a mixing desk. ?

BTW: I don’t think that you are a bad actor. ?

Thank you @Joerg Polzfusz.

I'm glad you like it. 

Yeah I didn't have much to work with at home and it was basically just a test for something I plan to do in the future. 

I love how graphics on practical displays look because the light just interacts with the environment in a nicer way than if it was CGI and composited. That's what I wanted to try out, because I have nothing against CGI but I preferer it for things like set extensions and not creating the entire thing. 

The display was my phone, the switch was our charging station extension cord switch and the buttons were my old mixing deck. I used a camera case insides for a background texture and a small rotating emergency light for the red alarm light.

The reflections were made by a small projector and I got that idea from a shot from the Kurt Russell movie called Solder from 1998, where some graphics were projected onto a guys head like that.

Thank you but I really don't like acting, but this was an experiment and sometimes I do act in things but it's only when there's no other alternative or someone else that I respect wants me to. Although for the love of it I have no idea why.