Canon XLH1

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Personally I was a bit disappointed.... When I heard that it was HD I go all excited, but then found out that it's only HD in the interlaced mode. It uses 25F just like Sony. Apparently it's going on sale at about £5,000. Although they said that about the XL2.

I won't be getting it, XL2 for me. The second Canon bring out a HD progressive scan camera for under 5 grand then I'll think about it.

Not sure what you guys think, but I'm not so keen. Nice design though..

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I'm with you. What's up with all these hi-def cameras that won't do progressive scan? Plus, for us NTSC people, they won't do 24p. First Sony, now Canon -- both these guys should know better.

I'm really more of a film guy, and these companies aren't doing anything to make me interested in hi-def.

I have heard that Panasonic and JVC both have progressive scan HD cams coming out sometime soon...

I would recomend the JVC HD-100U only because it actually does 720p (in true progressive fassion) it does true 24p and you can get more lenses out of it. in fact with the mini35 and a couple of good primes I think you can get somewhere close to film (although it will look a little soft, a little harsh due to most consumer sensors dynamic range.) it will have the focal qualities of 35, then jsut be careful with your lighting.

Guest matthew david burton

Having never shot with the new canon hd i could not coment on the performance but it looks like a real disapointment.

I hated seeing the same design as the xl2 that i own myself. I've had so many issues with the design of the xl2 it's not funny.

HDV is looking like a bum format and is dooming any camera that uses it. Also i shoot quite a bit in wide angle and any camera with a fixed lens is un thinkable

ie:

panasonic

When the heck are they gona release a cam i actualy want for under £5-6000 ?

were waiting ..........

I don't get why they couldn't just use the same system, just improve the colour and resolution.

They must know that progressive scan is what indie film makers look for.

Well either way I'm happy with using the XL2... I mean at the end of the day it's not about the camera. It's about the lighting and compositon.

But none the less I hate interlaced, that's the ONE feature I don't look for.

According to the articles I've read about the XLH1, the 25F feature is implemented in a different manner to Sonys' offering. Before we all get up in arms about the lack of true progressive scan, we should wait and see just how good or bad the XLH1 actually is

According to the articles I've read about the XLH1, the 25F feature is implemented in a different manner to Sonys' offering. Before we all get up in arms about the lack of true progressive scan, we should wait and see just how good or bad the XLH1 actually is

Well either way it doesn't do true progressive scan. Which, just sucks. Probably very nice for news broadcasts n' stuff though.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
Well either way it doesn't do true progressive scan. Which, just sucks. Probably very nice for news broadcasts n' stuff though.

Hi,

The reason why cheaper cameras don't do true progressive is its patented! They have to pay to a license fee to Robert Faber to use his concept!

Stephen

Hi,

The reason why cheaper cameras don't do true progressive is its patented! They have to pay to a license fee to Robert Faber to use his concept!

Stephen

And I license is how much?

• Premium Member
And I license is how much?

Daniel,

You would have to ask Robert Farber of Filmlook Inc. I would guess many tens of thousands of Dollers if not millions!

When he thought of the idear in the 1970's nobody was interested is such a strange concept! Why would anybody want that....

Stephen

Fair enough but I don't see how you can patent cheaper cameras using progressive scan. I mean.. I have the idea of shooting 35mm at the speed of 50 fps and then interlacing the frames digitally in post. Can I patent that?

• Premium Member
Fair enough but I don't see how you can patent cheaper cameras using progressive scan. I mean.. I have the idea of shooting 35mm at the speed of 50 fps and then interlacing the frames digitally in post. Can I patent that?

Daniel,

No you can't, its not a new and unique idea! Anyway it wont look the same 25p!

Remember video had always worked in fields, Roberts patent includes 24p, grey scale modifications and 24psf output. If you subscribe to CML HDTV there was a long thread a few months ago and Robert was involved in the discussion.

Stephen

I think his patent deals with embedded progressive scan.

Progessive scan dates back to the dawn of television.

The 1936 Berlin Olympic games were transmitted - via cable - in 100 line progressive. (don't know the frame rate).

-Sam

• Premium Member
I think his patent deals with embedded progressive scan.

Progessive scan dates back to the dawn of television.

The 1936 Berlin Olympic games were transmitted - via cable - in 100 line progressive. (don't know the frame rate).

-Sam

Sam,

I quote from www.filmlook.com:-

"These patents are directed toward the emulation of motion picture film within a digital camera. The invention(s) is a progressive scan camera. The 24 progressively scanned frames per second image is processed and converted to an interlaced (or segmented frame) output. The technology is equally applicable to standard definition, 720 or 1080 lines for 25, 30, or 60fps. The two companies presently hold patent rights on this technology in the United States, Japan and Europe."

Stephen

Daniel,

No you can't, its not a new and unique idea! Anyway it wont look the same 25p!

Ah but it hasn't been patented. Well.. either way, they should sometime bring out a cheap HD progressive scan camera. It may even be worth it. I mean the XL1 and 2 were worth it. Unless there's a patent on cheap "HD" progressive scan cameras.