About "The Whale"

Good day to you and hope everyone is being FANTASTIC. 

So I saw the movie "The Whale" dieected by aronofsky and photographed by Libatique and I do have three observations  I'd love to share with you. 

1- the aspect ratio of the film is 1.33. I feel it meant to be this way so your eyes is forced to see the subject infront of you, there is no room for your eye to escape. 

2- For me I believe that when you are shooting a fat person it is better to use cropped sensor, It makes the subject looks more "beautiful". But in this film they used a full frame camera because they wanted to capture the full tragedy. 

3- I love the way how they made the camera sometimes turn around the subject as if it is telling us that the protagonist is turning around a circle

Just felt like sharing... what do you guys think about the movie and about the way how it was shot???

• Premium Member

#2 doesn’t make sense to me. You can match depth of field and field of view between Super-35 and Full Frame, perspective / subject’s proportions is controlled by camera distance, and resolution is dependent on a number of factors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...